Is Mac really for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 in. 2.4 GHz
I am seriously considering getting a macbook pro for a graduation present, but a friend of mine who knows a thing or two about computers says that I shouldn't get one because I would not use all of it's features and it would therefore be a waste.

He's never owned a Mac before...He isn't a fanboy.

I'm planning on majoring in communications, most likely journalism of some sort. I play video games, listen to music, and like to mess with Photoshop ( + all of that college stuff starting next semester)

Is he right? Or is there something he's missing about Macs?
Or should I get one anyway? :)

ANY kind of input will be well appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
by that token 99% of all people out there just shouldn't buy a computer, because to be honest.. most people don't use 1/4 of the processing power they buy. FWIW I wouldn't game on a mac, but I really have no interest in wasting my time in that particular manner, so it's not a big deal

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 in. 2.4 GHz
by that token 99% of all people out there just shouldn't buy a computer, because to be honest.. most people don't use 1/4 of the processing power they buy. FWIW I wouldn't game on a mac, but I really have no interest in wasting my time in that particular manner, so it's not a big deal

With gaming being brought up again, is using boot camp for windows xp for gaming a smart idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's actually your only choice, so it's really up for personal interpretation whether or not it's a good idea. ;P

If you get a Mac that has a decent video card, then there's really nothing you can't do on it, especially when you take into consideration the fact that you can install Windows on it. So unless you have a specific Windows needs that will require you to use it most of the time, there's no reason not to get a Mac.

Reaction score
No. Macs are not for everyone.

I think I remember someone, I think a mod, saying once. "Bootcamp isnt fixing the problem for games, its just putting a band aid over it" Something like that.

Thats a different story. As far as what your friend said, about not using all its features. Now thats just silly. By no means should you not get one based on that.

My 2¢

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
No. Macs are not for everyone.

I think I remember someone, I think a mod, saying once. "Bootcamp isnt fixing the problem for games, its just putting a band aid over it" Something like that.

Thats a different story. As far as what your friend said, about not using all its features. Now thats just silly. By no means should you not get one based on that.

My 2¢

well bootcamp does solve a MAJOR problem of having limited games. i simply restart the computer after work and switch to windows to game.
i have a macbook and hard core 3d games dont have too hard of a time running. with the MBP (good graphics card) it will be perfect. the procssor (2.5) is not too much better than the macbook, so it up to you. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
a friend of mine who knows a thing or two about computers says that I shouldn't get one because I would not use all of it's features and it would therefore be a waste.

What features?

A mac is a computer. You do what you want with it - nothing more nothing less. You can accomplish the same tasks on a Mac as on a windows computer, albeit in slightly different ways.

Reaction score
The main difference between a Mac and a PC is the operating system, not the hardware. Think of the operating system as a set of tools. Which toolkit is better: a) carpenter's tools, or b) surgical tools? It all depends on what you intend to do with them.

Reaction score
Just not having to deal with "Windows has encountered an error and need to close" was enough of an incentive to switch. The added bonus is super fast start-up and shut down, no anti-virus needed, outstanding photo/slide show capability and not having to deal with microsoft in any way, shape or form.

BTW - I am not a gamer, at least on my MAC. Now PS3/Rockband, Uh Huh!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
We have you idea what's right for you you'll have to try one out for yourself.

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
The differences between PC and Mac personally are ....STABILITY, no adware, virus', trojans, malware, spyware, and it JUST WORKS!!!! It you like upgrading and taking the computer apart, then you may be better off with a PC...The hardware on the MAC is topnotch... You get what you pay for...

Reaction score
The differences between PC and Mac personally are ....STABILITY, no adware, virus', trojans, malware, spyware, and it JUST WORKS!!!! It you like upgrading and taking the computer apart, then you may be better off with a PC...The hardware on the MAC is topnotch... You get what you pay for...
You're comparing Windows and OS X. You're also assuming things about both.

As an owner of a refurbished Macbook Pro, I can say they aren't quite as top-notch as people think. Otherwise there'd never be refurbs. 8)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
No, I do not think that Macs are for everyone. I use a Mac because of 1) OS X's design, overall feel, 2) no annoying "windows has to close, blah blah" messages, 3) security... I still use a PC for Microsoft Office and The Sims 2, and half the time it is updating its security software... :(

Get a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
but a friend of mine who knows a thing or two about computers says that I shouldn't get one because I would not use all of it's features and it would therefore be a waste.

Don't listen to the person who told you this, he obviously doesn't know much about computers or Mac's in general; he's assuming things…

If you want a computer which you can just use without any hassles, no annoying messages, scanning for viruses, having to reboot every so often and re-installing your OS once a year or so then get a mac.

If you want a computer which is easy to use and has a tone of features that are actually useful (such as expose) and doesn't cripple the performance of your mac when u choose to upgrade the OS (Windows Vista) then get a mac.

For playing games on a Macbook Pro, you can use Bootcamp,although you would have to restart your mac in order to boot up into windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
To be honest ..... get a Mac.

Comparing Windows with Mac OS X is not a ' like for like ' comparison I would say.

To be fair, you will need a couple of hours to understand the keyboard shortcuts but once you know them, you are in business for a lot of pleasure.

Never say never, but it will take a lot of convincing before I give up my Mac.

Reaction score
The Macbook Pro is actually a really well-priced machine. If I were to get a desktop replacement (not just a PC replacement), I would get one. They're fast, they have lots of memory, and the video card is awesome (Geforce 8600GT).

Reaction score
Macbook Pros "well priced"? I won't go into breakdowns of price lists, but I can tell you that MBPs are generally considered to be very expensive for what they are. Oh, and the 8600M GT, as I've said in other posts, is hardly awesome. It's a mediocre, crippled chipset. It is the best Mac laptop users have available though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

I need you to go to http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and http://www.apple.com/support/ to tell everybody there that they're mistaken because their macs are working perfectly fine.

The hardware on the Mac is NOT topnotch, it's the same.

I have no idea where this myth of needing to reinstall the Windows OS every year comes from, and these security updates are JUST as frequent as Mac's Software Update coming in to tell me I should upgrade my security and a few other programs I never use as well.

The whole "Getting a confirmation when a window closes" also confuses me, because I never got that except for Firefox, which happens on the Mac as well.

True, you don't get the experience of "This program has hit an error" and closes the window. In my experience, it just closes on its own without telling me what's going on. Yes, things crash on a mac. The programs that have this happen more often than other programs are my Adobe software and web browsers (I switch from Firefox to Safari).

Someone said it already, but the differences between mac (PC) and Windows (PC) is just the OS. The whole adware, virus, etc... can be easily avoided. My Windows machine that I've been using for nearly half a decade has only been infected with cookies that says where I've been. I've gotten absolutely no viruses or anything. It's all about how careful you are. I love Leopard's mail, iPhoto, and iCalendar. Adium is OK. I prefer AIM 6+ on Windows so I can listen to the Satellite Radio as I chat. Launching programs are easier on OS X, especially with Quicksilver. The whole virus thing is how it is now. As it stands we're just as much in danger as any computer user, it's just that we have no weapons aiming towards us right now. Instead of a confirmation that asks you to do anything, like Vista, you have to input your admin password for OS X (but not to do as many things such as installing programs. But you still have to do it almost 75% as much with anything modifying your system).

Mac is less customizable than a Windows machine and almost anything you want to do on a mac, flashy-wise, can be done on a Windows PC. Expose had it's own thing (forgot what it's called) since XP, for example. Spaces...well no that was for Linux which has been doing it for years called "Desktops" but I think Windows now has it. Hardforum has a good show of good customized desktops: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=753262
n179800142300360889255os1.jpg

OP, ignore the quoted post and the others that assume what Windows is, listen to everyone else that has a more balanced view; they're more objective. My own $.02? I love both platforms. I don't game, really, anymore. I've had success with both OS's in my professional field. But I have to say, notebook-wise, I'd rather get the Macbook Pro over any laptop. But the Dell M1330 is also a good one to look at. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DYDWTF1&s=dhs

Or you get the Dell M1730. It has "more hardware" and even color choices (has a built-in fingerprint scanner for the 1330, I know that, for starters) and as with all Windows machine (in my experience) you can tell them to install XP rather than Vista. Don't listen to those who say Vista isn't stable. In actuality, Vista is very stable and those with some experience will say that it has crashed less than OSX has; it's problem is that it's very resource heavy with unnecessary features (that last one is personal opinion).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 in. 2.4 GHz
Wow... I never expected to get so many replies.
Thanks to everyone for help to decide to... buy a mac. Yay! :D

I guess my friend was talking more about iLife and the extra software that you can buy for mac. I'm still not sure what EXACTLY he's talking about.

Now I just have to work out a deal with my parents... Wish me luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
I must say a big well done guys. We really are giving this guy a good balanced opinion of a debate which has rumbled on since the first mac was released.

I mean, you're on a mac forum, so you are going to get the fanboys giving you unsubstantiated bilge, but you'd get the same on a PC forum.

I agree with the guys who say the MBP is expensive as far as hardware goes; you can get a MUCH quicker PC laptop for the same money.

That said, it's about how OSX delivers that power. I sold my Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz PC for a 2Ghz iMac, but it feels so much faster! Software updates are once a month, I don't have to worry about restarting or backing up (time machine).

Games won't look as pretty on a MacBook Pro as they would on a similar priced Dell, for example, so it depends how important that is to you.

If I had the money for an MBP, I'd probably go for one over a PC. Your choice though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.