Aluminum Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still a relative newbie but getting to know and enjoying this system. I can't get the brightness controls on my keyboard to work even though I've downloaded the most recent updates. Any clues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Are any of the other buttons working, like the Expose, Dashboard, and volume keys?

If not, then you may have disabled the function keys. Go to System Preferences and click on Keyboard & Mouse. Under the keyboard tab, check to see whether the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" option is enabled.

OP
J
Reaction score
Are any of the other buttons working, like the Expose, Dashboard, and volume keys?

If not, then you may have disabled the function keys. Go to System Preferences and click on Keyboard & Mouse. Under the keyboard tab, check to see whether the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" option is enabled.

The volume and expose keys were working before I enabled the feature; now they're not working at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
The volume and expose keys were working before I enabled the feature; now they're not working at all.
make sure you have the option that Kash was talking about Check Marked... (enabled)

also, for you keyboard backlight problem - the ambient light has to be pretty low for the keyboard backlight to be activated... If it is bright out, the keyboard backlight brightness buttons on your keyboard will not work.

OP
J
Reaction score
I still haven't been able to enable the keys but have figured out an alternative.I press Fn and the desired function key at the same time and that works.
Thanks.

make sure you have the option that Kash was talking about Check Marked... (enabled)

also, for you keyboard backlight problem - the ambient light has to be pretty low for the keyboard backlight to be activated... If it is bright out, the keyboard backlight brightness buttons on your keyboard will not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
That is how that works. If the box is checked, you need to press fn to use the secondary functions. if the box isn't checked, you need to press fn to use the function keys as f1, f2, etc...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is how that works. If the box is checked, you need to press fn to use the secondary functions. if the box isn't checked, you need to press fn to use the function keys as f1, f2, etc...

Totally correct.

Running the Aluminum keyboard here on iMac G5 iSight. That is exactly how it works depending on how that box is checked.

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks very much! this has been the most helpful post yet. But the brightness keys still don't work. I'll swallow my pride and (gulp) call a tech.

Totally correct.

Running the Aluminum keyboard here on iMac G5 iSight. That is exactly how it works depending on how that box is checked.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac do you have that keyboard plugged into?

If I missed it, sorry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the OS. What Computer Model is it? Like iMac? Power Mac? What CPU?

The reason I am asking is not all Macs support Brightness up and down from the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It also depends on the monitor:

If you're using a Mac mini and a Samsung monitor, the brightness keys won't work. If it's a Mac mini and an Apple cinema display, they will work.

OP
J
Reaction score
I did consider the fact that there might be incompatibility issues between the monitor, (Envision), and the Mac, a mini. Thanks again. :)

It also depends on the monitor:

If you're using a Mac mini and a Samsung monitor, the brightness keys won't work. If it's a Mac mini and an Apple cinema display, they will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.