Some questions ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch
Hi there,
I am so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this ..

Am sooo new to MAC so my questions may seem kinda stupid to you ;P

1. i installed Firefox but everytime i open it, it shows me this ..
Picture4.png

and this is on my desktop
Picture1.png

and this
Picture2.png

2. i have aMSN, everytime i connect it relaunchs :\
Picture3.png

3. btw do you have a good program to convert videos to MP4 and so on ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you are a little confused about how software is distributed and installed on a Mac - it's quite a bit different from how you would do it on a Windows machine.

First of all, most software for a Mac is distributed in DMG files. DMG files are disk images, meaning, they are like virtual CDs. When you double-click on one of them, it is "mounted" to your desktop as though it were a physical disc. Of course, when you reboot the computer, the disc is no longer mounted, so if you choose to install the software that is contained within the disc, you'll need to drag it and drop it into your Applications folder.

So, in the example you cited above (Firefox), do exactly what the graphic describes - drag and drop the Firefox icon onto your Applications folder. Once you do that, you may safely "eject" the virtual Firefox disc by dragging it and dropping it onto the Trash can.

Now, whenever you want to use Firefox, open your Applications folder and click on it. If you want to uninstall it, simply drag and drop it onto the trash. Pretty simple, eh? :)

I would imagine your aMSN problem is related to this. Are you sure it is installed properly? Some programs don't work right unless they are installed in the Applications folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch
i'll try and drag it and drop it and hope it'll work :D .. and yeah it looks pretty simple ;P

And about the MSN, i think it is .. am not the one who installed it. i took it to the mac store and they installed it for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
3. btw do you have a good program to convert videos to MP4 and so on ?

what sort of videos?

The free ffmpeg is a good one, you will need all 3 of its components tho

http://ffmpegX.com/download.html (the program)

On the same page look for this text

he mpeg2enc binary for ffmpegX 0.0.9x is available here (don't click but use CTRL-click on link and then "Download link on disk").
The mplayer and mencoder binaries for ffmpegX 0.0.9x are available here. Decompress the downloaded zip file by double-clicking the icon.

Download the extra codec files as instructed and place them in the same folder as the ffmpegX aplication

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i'll try and drag it and drop it and hope it'll work :D .. and yeah it looks pretty simple ;P

And about the MSN, i think it is .. am not the one who installed it. i took it to the mac store and they installed it for me.

Your aMSN problem looks like the application itself is crashing. I haven't used aMSN in quite a few years as I much prefer Adium (and even Microsoft's own version of Messenger for Mac). I would highly recommend you look into either of those alternatives.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch
what sort of videos?

The free ffmpeg is a good one, you will need all 3 of its components tho

http://ffmpegX.com/download.html (the program)

On the same page look for this text

Download the extra codec files as instructed and place them in the same folder as the ffmpegX aplication

i'm downloading it right now ;)

Your aMSN problem looks like the application itself is crashing. I haven't used aMSN in quite a few years as I much prefer Adium (and even Microsoft's own version of Messenger for Mac). I would highly recommend you look into either of those alternatives.

I just downloaded the Microsoft's version .. it looks good and better than the aMSN .. But it doesn't have colored nicknames right ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch
The ffmpeg doesnt convert flv files ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Try downloading iSquint

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch
Guys thank you so much, you really helped alot :D
Just if the MSN have colored nicknames that would be great ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.