• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC
I am new to Macs. i have a new 20" Imac.
I am trying to get some video that I shot on a Sony DCR-TRV240 digital camcorder into Imovie.
I connected the USB cable from the camcorder to the USB slot on the keyboard. I set the camera to VCR and hit play. The Mac does not seem to see this camcorder connected to it. It just turns on the insight camera. My camcorder does not show up on the drop down menu.
I watched the tutorial, and it said to set the camcorder dial to a PC setting. I only seem to have a VCR or Camera setting.

I'm sure there is a simple solution for this. I am very raw at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you tries connecting the camera up to the usb port at the back of the screen.

Sometimes, if a device is suing too much power, the keyboard usb port cannot handle the load

Reaction score
This is a digital8 camcorder, meaning you cannot use the USB port for capturing. The only use the USB port wil have is for using the camera as a webcam. You need to hook it up to a firewire (a.k.a ilink, a.k.a. DV) cable. Your imac and your camcorder have this feature. Go to your local electronics store and ask for a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable.

Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
idk
This is a digital8 camcorder, meaning you cannot use the USB port for capturing. The only use the USB port wil have is for using the camera as a webcam. You need to hook it up to a firewire (a.k.a ilink, a.k.a. DV) cable. Your imac and your camcorder have this feature. Go to your local electronics store and ask for a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable.

Dylan

what he said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz 17 inch
I am new to Macs. i have a new 20" Imac.
I am trying to get some video that I shot on a Sony DCR-TRV240 digital camcorder into Imovie.
I connected the USB cable from the camcorder to the USB slot on the keyboard. I set the camera to VCR and hit play. The Mac does not seem to see this camcorder connected to it. It just turns on the insight camera. My camcorder does not show up on the drop down menu.
I watched the tutorial, and it said to set the camcorder dial to a PC setting. I only seem to have a VCR or Camera setting.

I'm sure there is a simple solution for this. I am very raw at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You are going to need to buy a firewire and capture the video in iMovie. I got a cheap one for 15 dollars..

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC
Thanks for all of your help. the firewire cable was the way to go. I was able to import the movie.
I need to learn some more of the basics and play with the video a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 10.4.11 2 x Quad Intel Xeon, 4 x 500 GB hard drives.
Camera must be connected via Fire Wire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.