A gigabit ethernet question?

Reaction score
My puppies are almost gone so my mac pro should be in my house by the end of the month. In the mean time, I have an ethernet question. Since the mac pro has to eithernet ports, can I use one for my broadband internet ( Verizon Fios-their connectin comes with a 4 port 10/100 and g- wireless) and the other with a gigabit switch for connecting to a gigabit NAS device without degrading the speed of the gigabit switch.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My puppies are almost gone so my mac pro should be in my house by the end of the month. In the mean time, I have an ethernet question. Since the mac pro has to eithernet ports, can I use one for my broadband internet ( Verizon Fios-their connectin comes with a 4 port 10/100 and g- wireless) and the other with a gigabit switch for connecting to a gigabit NAS device without degrading the speed of the gigabit switch.

That might get a little tricky from a protocol perspective. I would sooner recommend you buy a cheap Gigabit switch (they run around $40 or less these days). Then, connect an Ethernet cable between one of the four 10/100 ports on the FIOS box to the Gigabit switch. Hook both of the Mac Pro's NICs to the Gigabit switch and then finally the NAS to it as well. The performance difference should be substantial and then you don't have to worry about special NIC configuration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.