• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to store video files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
I finally sat down last weekend and started digitizing all of our old home movies that we had on VHS. I am using a Canopus ADVC110 to convert the signal and am using Vidi to save the file as a .dv

The question is, what is the best way to save the edited files. I want to be able to put these videos on DVD and on the AppleTV, but I also want to have an archive of the original file, just in case. What is the best format in which to save this archive file. I know that I want it to be a lossless compression format, or an uncompressed format.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Storing video requires a great deal of space. An hour of DV will take about 3 single layer DVDs. You might want to buy into Blue-Ray and Toast for backing up. Or buy a couple of 1GB external drives and story a copy off site. Uncompressed video is humongous.

I haven't given this much concern yet, as I have my original source tapes and a version on the drive and the finished result on DVD, but here is a thought. You are editing a DV file, cutting some garbage you probably don't want to keep also. Why not cut that garbage out, empty your editor trash, and save the project file as is. That way any future conversion will work with the closest original source you have.

What you will archive will depend on which editor you are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.