Firefox Crashed Again, IMac Slow Again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
OK this is the second time, I've had with these two things..

Two days ago: Once again Firefox crashed. I had three tabs open and I clicked on a tab then it did nothing. I got that colored circle spinning around. I couldn't do anything on my Mac at all, so I pressed the on/off button till the iMac turned off, then I turned it on again.

I ran the Daily script then just carried on with surfing the net.

Today: I turned my iMac on and everything just seemed slower than normal. I opened up Firefox and had a couple tabs open and it was slowish. Browsing wasn't slow, but when I was typing a reply here on MF in one tab, it was slow. I had to delete a couple words and it was at snails pace. The other tabs I didn't have anything going on.

I looked in Activity Monitor and pboard has like 584kb real memory, launchd has around 524kb real memory and firefox was around 90kb real memory. I have Adium, Yahoo Messenger, Finder and Activity Monitor open.

I have just rebooted my iMac and it seems ok now.

Questions:
After turning on my iMac it becomes slow, this has happened twice now, any ideas what is causing this and why? On a 5th month old iMac

Any idea's why Firefox keeps crashing, this has happened twice. is this the normal thing and am i to just expect this to happen.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Start with Repairing permissions with Disk Utility.

Issues Related to Permissions

"Incorrect permission settings may cause unexpected behavior. Here are several examples with troubleshooting suggestions:
  • Application installers, Applications folder
    A third-party application installer incorrectly sets permissions on the files it installs, or even the entire Applications folder. Symptoms of the Application folder's permissions being set incorrectly include applications appearing in the dock as question marks, and/or not being able to connect to the Internet. It is also possible that software installed while logged in as one user will be inaccessible when logged in as another. To avoid this, make sure you are logged in with your normal user account when installing software that you wish to use with that account.
  • Power interruption
    The file system may be affected by a power interruption (improper shutdown) or when it stops responding (a "hang" or "freeze"). This could affect permissions."
You can try running all the Maintenance scripts manually.

The Terminal way

"Using your Admin account, you can execute all three maintenance scripts at once, as follows:
  1. Launch Terminal, in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
  2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written
  3. sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
  4. Press Return.
  5. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when the Terminal prompt returns."

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks for the detailed information:) I will go try this.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just done a Repair Disk Permissions for the first time, here is the result.
repairdeskermissions.jpg

Does it look ok or were there problems? I don't understand what the log meant really. I didn't use a cd or anything, just clicked on Repair Disk permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Its normal. There's usually a few items, especially after an install. Its a common practice to repair permissions after any updates, installs, etc.

If your still having problems with an app. it can also be a corrupt preference (plist) file for it. For Safari, it would be Safari.apple.com.plist
You can use Spotlight to find it and drag it to the trash, then launch the app. It will create a new preference file.

Also, for troubleshooting, create a new user account. If the problem stops, it would be something in your home folder. If it continues, it would be something in the system itself. (for example, the app. itself)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try trashing Firefox and redownloading it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.