Buying MBP: Matte or Glossy, Applecare??

Reaction score
Hi,
I am returning my Dell XPS M1330 due to pathetic Vista power management problems and getting the blue screen the first week I used the computer.

I would like to get the MBP 2.5 GHz, 250Gb. It is on discount at my school's computer store for $1999. Is that a good price?

I would like to choose between glossy or matte. I had a matte laptop and using outside was a pleasure. The Dell I am returning is glossy and I couldn't see the screen. Is the glossy level the same on all computers or is the MBP gloss tolerable?

Also, there is a discount of Applecare at my school's computer store $189. Is it worth it?

Thanks for all the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
$1999 is indeed a good price since even the education discount at the Apple store gets you a price of $2299, so you're saving $300. Glossy or matte seems to be up to the individual person's preferences. In your case, it seems you liked your matte experience over your glossy one, so you'd probably like going with the matte screen. As for Applecare, I've found it very worth the price on my old PowerBook, and your price for it is very good. So I would say go for it, but there are many who would disagree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I love my matte screen. Not only can I use it outside without too much trouble, the colors are also more "true" to real colors and they show less dust and things on them. I will never use a glossy screen again.

Reaction score
Apples glossy screens are very nice. But if you are going to be outside alot, then why even test it, just pick up a matte.

As for Applecare. Laptops move, open, travel, and are small. Applecare is completely worth it on a notebook. And at around $180, I know I wouldnt pass it up.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do love the colors on the glossy display. At the same time, one of the major features of a laptop is to liberate its user and enable him/her to work away from the desk. So therefore, I think the matte is for me. As for Applecare, I think $189 is more reasonable than the original price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.