Help!

Reaction score
My friend lost her install disc to her MB. Can you use an install disc from another version of OS X? will it erase anything left on your hard drive? she has lots of goodies on her drive she cant lose! please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
First of all, is there a problem with her computer? Does she need the discs now? Secondly, to the best of my knowledge, the install discs that come with a mac work only with THAT mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If her MB is still running, she hasn't lost anything. If it is no longer running, we might be able to help attack that issue. Let us know.

If you have another OS X install disk that is also for the same model of MB, you can safely boot from it and then use it to copy the content that she wishes to save off of the MB. If you don't have an OS X disk for the same model of MB, I would be leery of trying to boot from it.

OP
S
Reaction score
really unsure what her exact problems are, she emailed me and told me it was screwed up. hers is older than mine, still runs 10.4, but an older build. her mom has a new mb running 10.5, asked if she could use them, i said i would ask someone who knew more than me(still a newbie). just wanted to see if her moms install disc would work over me taking her mine, if mine will even work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.