Fink and finding programs

W

wiz561

Hi!

I know this is going to sound crazy and I'm sure there's an easy way to do it, but I don't know how to. I started to use 'fink' to install some common applications (IE: gimp), but where do I find it? I know it installed it somewhere under /sw, but how does one go about finding the program to run?

THanks in advance!

Reaction score
Look in /sw/bin.
/sw/bin should be in your PATH...open a terminal in X11 and type gimp.

OP
W

wiz561

thanks!

Ah, ok. I guess it would help to add /sw/bin to my path. I tried to do a 'whereis' but it came back with nothing, which makes me think that I didn't do somethign right or whereis doesn't work on a mac like it does in linux.

Does the whole '/sw' directory belong to fink?

Thanks!

Reaction score
wiz561 said:
Ah, ok. I guess it would help to add /sw/bin to my path. I tried to do a 'whereis' but it came back with nothing, which makes me think that I didn't do somethign right or whereis doesn't work on a mac like it does in linux.

Does the whole '/sw' directory belong to fink?

Thanks!

It does unless you're using an older version of Virex. It really screwed up some Fink installs til they changed it.

If you're using another window manager other than Apple's you might want to put 'source /sw/bin/init.sh' into your .xinitrc file.(without the quotes)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.