What To Buy??

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this site.

I'm currently in Australia and will be moving to the UK shortly.

I want to get into graphic design, but will be unable to officially undertake study at an institution in the UK due to my visa.

So in 1-2 years I plan to be back in Australia where I can study to my hearts content.

SOOO.... in the meantime I want to study online.. I've found some good sites already that seem to give good instruction on the Adobe applications (any suggestions would great), however, I really need/want to upgrade my ibook to a macbook pro.

I heaps stoked about the new model that has come out, but I just a bit nervous about buying something that great and not getting the right add ons (e.g. memory, etc.)

I'm planning on getting a 15inch mac book pro, but as far as the extras I really don't know what is important to make the machine optimal for graphic design.

ANY Advice would be highly appreciated! I have a b'friend who is a computer programmer, but unfortunately doesn't want to give any advice just in case he's wrong (never used macs -SHAME ON HIM I KNOW :) )

Thank you for reading this lengthy post..

Cheers :D

OP
K
Reaction score
Oh, and another thing, I don't know whether to go for the glossy screen.. I hear it's better color, but I think the shine would drive me crazy! Do you think it's worth compromising?

OP
K
Reaction score
Tell me what to buy!!

Hi all,

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this site.

I'm currently in Australia and will be moving to the UK shortly.

I want to get into graphic design, but will be unable to officially undertake study at an institution in the UK due to my visa.

So in 1-2 years I plan to be back in Australia where I can study to my hearts content.

SOOO.... in the meantime I want to study online.. I've found some good sites already that seem to give good instruction on the Adobe applications (any suggestions would great), however, I really need/want to upgrade my ibook to a macbook pro.

I heaps stoked about the new model that has come out, but I just a bit nervous about buying something that great and not getting the right add ons (e.g. memory, etc.)

I'm planning on getting a 15inch mac book pro, but as far as the extras I really don't know what is important to make the machine optimal for graphic design.

ANY Advice would be highly appreciated! I have a b'friend who is a computer programmer, but unfortunately doesn't want to give any advice just in case he's wrong (never used macs -SHAME ON HIM I KNOW )

Thank you for reading this lengthy post..

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Okay well I am doing graphic design and one of the most important things is RAM. I would set it up so you get 4 gigs of RAM, and probably the 2.5ghz processor. I would stick with the slower speed but larger space 250 gb hard drive unless you are going to get into heavy video editing. For graphic design the 5400rpm is more than fine. Other than that...try to jump on the adobe deal they are having right now...get the student version...it's expensive but you will clearly need it for graphic design (I'm assuming).

Although this isnt graphic design - i spend the $20 and get the remote if you think you'll use it. i use it all the time to control movies, and itunes

Reaction score
Matte screen for graphic design. Glossy looks pretty, but the colors wont be true.

OP
K
Reaction score
just one more thing...

hey thanks guys for your, help. I feel a lot more confident to order it now..

also, I was wondering if you could give me a low down on the academic software. Is there a license for a certain period of time? And how do you prove that you are a student?

cheers:D

Reaction score
Sometime you do have to send in some sort of "proof" but as for getting an ed discount on Apple computers, its more of, "if we catch you, your dead" (I think, I know I didnt send proof, there was just something that warned you against fraud)

Check out the Apple site. They are having a big sale on Adobe/Student products. Right up your lane as far as graphic design.

And Im not sure what you mean here, kinda lost me at "license for a time..."

also, I was wondering if you could give me a low down on the academic software. Is there a license for a certain period of time?

OP
K
Reaction score
and so on...

I was just wondering whether you could only use the program for a certain amount of years.. as in, you won't be a student forever, so how do they monitor that??

Or, can you pay some money to upgrade to a non-student one? Otherwise, you're really not meant to be making money - so I figure it's either pay more for the rights to use it for work, or buy the whole new program again??

I'll check out the sales, but I'm in Australia, so not sure if it's going to help me.

Thanks heaps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Why do you want a laptop out of interest?

Designing is SO much easier on a 20" iMac instead of a piddly 15" laptop screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
For student versions on things, there is no time limit on the software. You can use it your entire lifetime. But, you can not use it professionally. It embeds some coding in your saved file, and if you dare sent that to your work or a print shop or something, you will get fined big time and be in a lot of trouble. The software is strictly for student work but if you decide you need it for professional work you can update it for a cheaper price later down the road. Hope that helps

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks!

Hey, thanks guys, that helps heaps..

I'm getting a laptop, because I'm going to be doing a bit of travel in the next few years.. so obviously don't want to ship around a desktop.. I figure I can just get a screen when I need to.. but thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there ya go...thats my plan eventually too. good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.