serial attached scsi

Reaction score
Hello all, My puppies are all most sold. this means in short order I will be making trip to the apple store and brining home an 8 core beast. My question is one that I have yet to find an answer to. Do you need a raid card to run serial attached scsi hard drives. The reason I ask is that they spin at 15,000 rpms.

8 cores, an obsene amount of ram and 15,000 rpm hard drives and I will have the fastest gun in the west.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
hopefully you'll actually use it for something viable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have almost the very machine you are thinking of. Yes, you need the RAID card to use SAS drives. And yes, even without it, it is fast.

Keep one thing in mind. A 15K RPM drive is likely to generate quite a bit more noise and heat (hence more fan noise) than a 7200 RPM drive. Is it really worth it?

Personally, I am attacking the "need for speed" another way. I am presently in the process of adding a second hard drive to my beast. I have discovered that Seagate now has a new member of the same drive family that Apple uses for these machines that is 34% faster than the one that the machine comes with AND has a 32 MB cache, not a 16 MB cache, all while still spinning at 7200 RPM. It is only $129. I couldn't resist. It should be arriving today.

I will use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to clone my current drive to the new one and then boot from the new one. Hopefully, I will see speed increases across the board.

This might be an option for you too? Also, if you are using Photoshop, note that it runs more efficiently with two physical drives (not two partitions, but two physically different drives) than one. Hence, the above should improve Photoshop's overall performance as well.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the info

I have almost the very machine you are thinking of. Yes, you need the RAID card to use SAS drives. And yes, even without it, it is fast.

Keep one thing in mind. A 15K RPM drive is likely to generate quite a bit more noise and heat (hence more fan noise) than a 7200 RPM drive. Is it really worth it?

Personally, I am attacking the "need for speed" another way. I am presently in the process of adding a second hard drive to my beast. I have discovered that Seagate now has a new member of the same drive family that Apple uses for these machines that is 34% faster than the one that the machine comes with AND has a 32 MB cache, not a 16 MB cache, all while still spinning at 7200 RPM. It is only $129. I couldn't resist. It should be arriving today.

I will use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to clone my current drive to the new one and then boot from the new one. Hopefully, I will see speed increases across the board.

This might be an option for you too? Also, if you are using Photoshop, note that it runs more efficiently with two physical drives (not two partitions, but two physically different drives) than one. Hence, the above should improve Photoshop's overall performance as well.
Thanks for the information. after I priced how much the raid card will cost, I think that your way to fill the need for speed seems like a more fiscally wise way to get the most from my beast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.