Strange IP address error...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I keep getting the following error (note I have purposely "x"ed out my ip add...) Can anyone tell me what it means?

IP CONFIGURATION

192.xxx.x.x in use by 00:c0:a8:xx:xx:xx, DHCP Server 192.xxx.x.x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
When do you see this error, and how do you see it - screen pop, logs, ...Aside from the error, is everything else working more or less normally?

BTW, 192.x.x.x IP addresses are usually not public, so you need not have "x"'d it out. Most routers use 192.168.1.x for their internal IP addresses, and then map that ("NAT" it) to the one external IP address for the router.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Apologies, i'm still new to IP adds...
It pops up in a window. Everything else seems to be working ok. Although my mac droppin the internet connection still persists (which has been happening since upgrading to leopard).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds to me that you are getting the same IP as something else on that network. Duplicates are not suppose to be allowed.

Reaction score
I had this too about a month ago, been fine since, only happened once! It had like Ip in use by 00:15:f2:f4:51 DHCP server 93.3445.4.45 whatever! Not sure what it was tho!

Reaction score
192.xxx.x.x in use by 00:c0:a8:xx:xx:xx, DHCP Server 192.xxx.x.x

Interestingly, you've exposed enough of your config to tell us some things. The adapter that's conflicting with your machine is made by GVC corporation. Looks like they supply parts for Lite-on (CD-ROM drives) and wireless modem makers. Anyway, if you want more help, you're going to have to:

1. Show the entire error message
2. Tell us how your machine is connected (wireless / wired)
3. Tell us if your router is setup for DHCP or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Where are you connecting from when this happens? Does it happen when connected to a different network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For starters, I would power all your computers, then power down the router and let it sit for a few minutes. Then restart the router. When it is up and running, turn your machines back on one by one. It sounds to me like the router's DHCP server got corrupted. This may resolve it.

I routinely power cycle my router once every few weeks, just to ensure that it is running "cleanly". In my case, this also seems to speed up Internet access as well.

Remember, routers are intelligent devices (i.e. they have processors, RAM, code). If they have bugs in them, these can corrupt the code or data over time, causing incorrect operation. A power cycle cleans everything up and lets it start fresh.

Reaction score
that power cycle seems like a good idea, will try that tonight, my connection is soo slow cause i live out in the country! It only happened the once for me tho!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.