questions from a Mac virgin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8ghz
I am the proud owner of my very 1st iMac. I have been a windows user since 3.1 and dos previous tv that. I have a long list of questions but iwill keep it short.

1: is quicktime the only media player that comes with the native os?
2: do I really have to buy the pro upgrade to get full functionality?
3: my Sony divi camcorder has been recognised and all the MPEG files have been automatically downloaded. However, I don't seem to have anything that will play them. What am I doing wrong?
4: I would like to copy all of my music files from my defunct pc, where do I put the files so that iTunes will see them? I looked at importing through iTunes but it will only let me import individual sets of files and not multiple folders.

I think that will do for now

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice/answers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
I dont know this for sure, but if you copy all your music folders to your music folder in the home directory iTunes should notice them automatically :) It atleast did with mine, but i don't know if it made any difference that there was an iTunes library file included there already.

/LeAstrale

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
1: is quicktime the only media player that comes with the native os?
Quicktime is what ships on the Mac. Flip4mac allows you to view Windows Media Player file through Quicktime. VLC is a widely used video player that plays just about everything. And of course RealPlayer is available for the Mac.

2: do I really have to buy the pro upgrade to get full functionality?
Yes, to get all the functions from Quicktime you need to purchase the Pro Media Key.

3: my Sony divi camcorder has been recognised and all the MPEG files have been automatically downloaded. However, I don't seem to have anything that will play them. What am I doing wrong?
I would think they would play in either Quicktime or imovie. I am not sure on this actually.

4: I would like to copy all of my music files from my defunct pc, where do I put the files so that iTunes will see them? I looked at importing through iTunes but it will only let me import individual sets of files and not multiple folders.
How are you importing your songs from your PC? You can add them to your Music Folder on the Hard-Drive, and then point iTunes to locate them.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8ghz
the MPEG files from my Sony camcorder are being shown as QuickTime files but QuickTime won't play them. I wondered if I needed further functionality like QuickTime pro or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Have you tried the VLC player? You shouldn't need Quicktime Pro at all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8ghz
vlcplayer? What's that then? Where do I get it? Is it free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Google it. It's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.