Wireless Router

M

MoreMojo

Hey everyone. I am a new "switcher" to a 12" iBook and absolutely love it!! But I am having a problem working a Netgear Wireless Router. I went through the entire install process and successfully completed that, but now when I want to go "wireless" my Internet connection can't be found. Any suggestions to a newbie?

OP
H

hokiethang

MoreMojo said:
Hey everyone. I am a new "switcher" to a 12" iBook and absolutely love it!! But I am having a problem working a Netgear Wireless Router. I went through the entire install process and successfully completed that, but now when I want to go "wireless" my Internet connection can't be found. Any suggestions to a newbie?

not sure about netgear wireless equipment, but in it's settings does it say its connected to the internet? Is your airport card connecting to the access point or can it not see the access point? I use linksys equipment so i wont be much help on the netgear configuration, but just some things to check or make diagnosis easier.

OP
M

MoreMojo

hokiethang said:
not sure about netgear wireless equipment, but in it's settings does it say its connected to the internet? Is your airport card connecting to the access point or can it not see the access point? I use linksys equipment so i wont be much help on the netgear configuration, but just some things to check or make diagnosis easier.

Thanks for your response hokiethang. Excuse me if this sounds like a silly question, but being a complete novice to this entire thing, how would I check the settings, or see if my airport card is connecting to the access point?

OP
H

hokiethang

MoreMojo said:
Thanks for your response hokiethang. Excuse me if this sounds like a silly question, but being a complete novice to this entire thing, how would I check the settings, or see if my airport card is connecting to the access point?

not sure how it is done on the netgear, there should be some administration panel that should show you. As for if the airport is connecting to it, there should be a little airport icon on the menu bar at the top of your screen. click it and see if any access point name is checked. You can also tell if the little wave lines on that icon are black, if they are all gray, then you are not connected, if one of them is black, then there is a connection to something. If you are in an apartment complex like i am, you may have a number of names listed and may even be connected to the wrong one, but yours should be what it was set to with the configuration utility. I am not sure how netgear equipment works, it may be an interface where you would go in with a web-browser (like my linksys) or a separate piece of software (like dlink / airport). The instructions should walk you through getting in to the configuration utility, or someone here who uses netgear hardware may be of more use. You will probably need to hard wire your laptop to the router in order to do the configuration.

OP
M

MoreMojo

hokiethang said:
not sure how it is done on the netgear, there should be some administration panel that should show you. As for if the airport is connecting to it, there should be a little airport icon on the menu bar at the top of your screen. click it and see if any access point name is checked. You can also tell if the little wave lines on that icon are black, if they are all gray, then you are not connected, if one of them is black, then there is a connection to something.

Thanks!! That did the trick, I am up and running. I really appreciate your insight. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.