• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Why does video files take so long on a mac?

Reaction score
I new to the mac world...I got an iMac for home because all we do at home is internet, photos, videos but really nothing else...so now i'm trying to take old vhs tapes converting them to dvd (via a sony stand-alone dvd/vcr) then I want to cut them up on the iMac and put them back onto dvd's so friends and family can enjoy them...my problem or question is why does it take so long just to rip a dvd or import video to iMovie or burn a DVD...i've got a 2.6dual core intel with 4 gb ram so I know it is not a hardware problem...I've done equal projects on windows pcs that take 10 minutes (just the burning and ripping, not editing) and it take hours (not one or two but sometimes 6) on the mac...I have a feeling I'm going about it incorrectly but I need some help....thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16ghz 2gb ram 250gb HD
idvd converts all videos into vobs for the dvd format. this requires the files to be converted which is highly processor intensive taking ages. this makes them viewable on a dvd player. also idvd has to transcode all of the menus you create ect frame by frame. if you just want the files on a dvd just burn the files which will just take mins.

idvd is a bit of a convoluted process for what your trying to do. its good for wowing the family with photoshows with fancy menus but it takes an age to author a movie. im sure there will be better apps out there i just dont know of any lol.

i use visualhub for all my encoding but i never author to dvd.

hope ive been of slight help. dont worry tho its not a problem with your imac. idvd is just slow

Reaction score
This might not be the ideal method for you. I noticed that it takes forever to add movie files to iMovie. However, if you import the movie from a digital camcorder, it's only the amount of time it takes to play the file.

My digital camcorder uses Sony mini DV tapes. If I connect the camcorder to my VCR I can recorde VHS tapes (that aren't encoded) as well as TV onto the mini DV tapes in the camcorder. After that they're just like the movies I filmed on the camcorder and can be directly imported into iMovie.

This might not work for you if you don't have a digital camcorder and I'm sure there might be another, perhaps better way, to do the same thing. But it's the only way I know how to do it without having to deal with movie files that take forever to load into iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.