• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I need a new mobile...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
any recommendations? I'm well up for a smart phone but I'm not sure how well the whole Windows Mobile/Mac thing will go.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You seem to like Apple products, but oddly you didn't mention the iPhone. Is the iPhone out of the question?

Reaction score
If the iPhone is out of the question...I'm a very big fan/supporter of the Blackberry Pearl 8130 and Blackberry Curve...

I personally have the Blackberry Pearl 8130 and love it <><

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems like a lot of money...

And it doesn't support 3G, Java, Flash, or record video and doesn't have an SD slot.

Though it is very pretty and would work perfectly with my mac.

So I dunno. I'm sure I read something recently about why the 8GB ones are on special offer at the moment, something to do with a new one and having over-ordered the old ones I think... not sure, trying to find out.

Does anyone who has one care to review it a little for me please?

Reaction score
If not iPhone I would recommend a Palm Centro. In fact, I am hoping the iPhone picks up a lot of features which (apparently) it does not have at this time before my contract runs out with Sprint. I have GPS, Documents To Go (processes Word, Excel, etc documents between the phone and NeoOffice), have iSilo (scriptures), eReader (various church publications, conferences, etc). Both AT&T and Sprint carry the Centro.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the UK, but shall look futher into the Centro and Blackberries :)

On the other hand if the new iPhone has more of the features I'm looking for I'd go for it - but can I wait until June?!?! I can see it being an expensive month if there are new MacBooks out as well!

iPhones are also out of stock here. Hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
hopefully the new iPhones will have better reception then the current ones. I was out 4x4ing today with a friend that has a iPhone he had no reception at all and I could still make calls with my Sony Ericsson K790a,

I was thinking about getting a iPhone but when your product has the name of the intended primary use you better make sure it does it well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It seems like a lot of money...

And it doesn't support 3G, Java, Flash, or record video and doesn't have an SD slot.

Though it is very pretty and would work perfectly with my mac.

So I dunno. I'm sure I read something recently about why the 8GB ones are on special offer at the moment, something to do with a new one and having over-ordered the old ones I think... not sure, trying to find out.

Well, it'll probably never have an expansion slot, but there's very likely to be a 3G version within a month and the other issues are only software-related which could be added later. I don't know about java and flash, but there's already a way to record video out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I'm going through the same thing.

I just want a new phone. (Love my RAZR, but it's getting a little old).

Thinking a RIZR Z3.

Any suggestions for a T-Mobile phone for under $200?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Well, we briefly talked about this in the IRC, and I would strongly advise you to NOT go with Windows Mobile..

Go with a Blackberry/Palm instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Maybe I'll just keep my RAZR till it dies or my contract ends.

This is too much money for a gadget that I really don't use a whole lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I would suggest the ultra powerful Nokia N95 (unless you have ruled out symbian phones as well)

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest the ultra powerful Nokia N95 (unless you have ruled out symbian phones as well)

I am open all suggestions (even windows mobile if it's any good!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
[...]

It does support Javascript for websites and as far as java apps and games for other phones go, just wait until you see the Cocoa touch applications that will be available through the app store.

- Record video? 3rd party apps already can.
- Flash? MIA.
- SD slot? Not going to happen ;)
- Reviews? There are plenty of general reviews available, anything in particular you're interested in?

One thing I would mention though: Once you've had a phone with Wifi or mobile internet access with a decent browser, it's really not something you'll want to go without on a smartphone. It's a bit like going back to a computer without internet access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I am open all suggestions (even windows mobile if it's any good!).

I'm with smartyMAC - N95 - powerful and a fantastic all-rounder. Or wait til the end of summer for the N96

mrplow

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... I'm really liking the N95, though my instinct is to get an iPhone - which doesn't seem to be an option at the moment unless I wait a few months. And the Nokia will work with iSynch and all that jazz.

And I can throw my old PDA out the window!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I have a Blackberry Curve, it is quite a nice phone you should check it out.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the Carphone Warehouse... and fell in love with the iPhone. Which I can't have. Bum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Unless your keeping it in a case, get a flip phone. My Blackjack with windows mobile has such a scratched up screen I can't see it in any sort of bright light anymore.

Theres a few phones that incorporate windows mobile 6 in a flip phone style.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.