• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MIDI keyboard won't make sound in Garageband!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop, G4
Hey all. I recently started using my MIDI keyboard on my laptop. The problem is is that garageband recognizes it, but there is no sound at all. I looked at the preferences and there is a Built-In Input and Built-In Output setting, but no setting for USB or anything. I don't know if that made sense but it would be great if someone could help me out. Thanks!

Reaction score
Ok I am guessing you did the basics and plugged your MIDI keyboard also known as a controller if you do music tech like me :p anyway I guess you plugged it into power supply and you also connected your usb properly.
If the controller has a local function which means you can also play it without a computer like a normal keyboard/piano you will need to turn the local funtion off easily found in the manual of the keyboard.

once you have done those obvious steps all you need to do is make sure you add a new track and choose software instrument.
Choose your sound and make sure you have the track you want selected.
look for the little red circle button on that track and make sure it is on.

You should be fine.

If it still doesn't work double check your sound settings in the system preferences. and tell me there might be something else

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop, G4
Yeah. The problem is is that I did all of that and nothing is working. I understand what you are saying completely and I don't know why any of that is working. It's starting to get frustrating, lol. In the system preferences, under sound, the Input setting is the Line-In port thing, it doesn't say anything about a USB. I have no plug inserted into the Audio port, but under the Input option it says Line-In. Im thinking I'm missing something big, but I don't know what. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
take some screen shots of garage band and preferences and take some screen shots of system preferences, I will have a look at everything and hopefully i can help more then.

I take music technology I have been training to deal with all kinds of problems.

Also if yo could could you take a pic of your keyboard so I can see it like the top end keys and the bottom end keys and the back of it where you plug it in??

This will show me what you actually have and I will know what your working with then so I can hopefully help you with the problem :D

Hopefully ;D

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop, G4
thanks sooo much that would rock. but, i dont think i know how to make screen shots. :/

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop, G4
oh wait. nvm i figured it out. lol.

See if you can work with this. if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks again!

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop, G4
gah! im so new to this forum thing. i meant nvm i figured out the screen capture thing. lol. man, i need sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.