onyx and mainmenu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
My first question is: Which is better? Onyx or mainmenu?

My second question is...I have both, but I don't know what I should be doing to maintain my computer...does my mac come standard with some software that does this stuff automatically?

Otherwise, what should i run within onyx or mainmenu, and how often???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
I just do the automation with oynx , Disk utility is a programme that comes with your mac you can run , But Oynx just makes it easier , by clearing you caches etc as well as runing disk utility and checking your hard drive , Basicly it just does all the stuff you could do but does it for you quickly , You dont need to run it that often either i do it about once every 2weeks.
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
They both do the same thing and run the same scripts. Just pick one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Just Kidding - Coudnt Control.

I just do the automation with oynx , Disk utility is a programme that comes with your mac you can run , But Oynx just makes it easier , by clearing you caches etc as well as runing disk utility and checking your hard drive , Basicly it just does all the stuff you could do but does it for you quickly , You dont need to run it that often either i do it about once every 2weeks.
Hope this helps

BARTTTTTTTTT

homer-strangles-bart.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I had Oynx and was scared to use it and it looked a bit confusing so I went and downloaded MainMenu.

I only use MainMenu to run the scripts. After reading 'Maintaining Mac OS X' at The X Lab, I wasn't sure I really needed to use the other features of MainMenu as they could be troubleshooting steps.

If my iMac does need maintaince to fix something I will probably use MainMenu, but I would also check first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
OSX obviously runs a range of maintenance scripts as standard. I keep a widget in dashboard which shows what was run when and also allows me to run the scripts immediately if required. The link is below:

http://www.giantmike.com/widgets/Maintidget.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are concerned about the scripts look at a little utility called Macaroni from www.atomicbird.com. Does all this automatically and there is a free 35 day trial period at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I use Maintenance 3.8. It basically runs the Mac's self maintenance routines. There is an automated and non automated version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
getuptogetdown,

I tried Onyx and didn't know how to use it so moved to Main Menu. I just went to the menu, Preferences and then Batch Tasks. I checked all I could and closed it. Now when I click on the MainMenu icon (in the Menu bar) I select "Execute batch tasks" an it runs it all. I do that when i finish and can leave it alone for awhile.

Easy that way,

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.