Just ordered my MacBook

Reaction score
So I just sold my ASUS G1S-A1 gaming laptop and decided I am going to go with a Black MacBook 2.4GHZ, 4Gig, 250gigs HD space. I like their products, their style, everything, best of all-- I was happy to know I can still run Windows OS on it.

I was wondering if there is any info or anything you guys can give me info wise about what to do with the new Mac. I mean, anything I should know once I get it, do's and dont's, etc.

I was also wondering what kind of good (yet very discrete) anti-virus software usually works best on the Mac OSXs. I am not a fan of that Norton and other stuff.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Don't worry about defragging.

If you torrent, there is nothing like what Windows had except Azureus and I hated it. Transmission is nice and minimal but you can't choose which files to download.

Closing a window doesn't close the program (Command+Q will).

Don't expect to do hardcore gaming, even with Bootcamp.

Depending on how often you'll be moving that thing, use Applecare, but also look at your credit card terms as they may actually double the manufacturer's warranty. I know Amex, Visa, and Mastercard does it with a few restrictions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
I was also wondering what kind of good (yet very discrete) anti-virus software usually works best on the Mac OSXs. I am not a fan of that Norton and other stuff.

Thanks!

A highly discussed topic on this forum. Do a search on antivirus, there's enough info on that to make your head spin. However, I think the consensus is that antivirus software isn't really necessary on Macs "at this time".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
There is no Tap to click in windows. you must press the button to click.
In order to right click in windows you use 2 fingers on the trackpad then click the button.
delete key is actually a backspace key. sometimes will not act like you would expect. like highlighlighting a folder and hitting delete does nothing.

you can use AVG free antivirus for windows. its an excellent free antivirus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't worry about defragging.

If you torrent, there is nothing like what Windows had except Azureus and I hated it. Transmission is nice and minimal but you can't choose which files to download.

Actually the latest versions can...

Closing a window doesn't close the program (Command+Q will).

Although that's generally true, it does depend on the app: Single window apps will usually close when you close the window (iPhoto, PhotoBooth, System Preferences, iSale..), "document based" and "background" apps won't (Mail, iTunes, Textedit, Subethaedit, Address Book...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
What are you going to use to run windows OS?? I'm currently using the newest version of parallels, and it's pretty awesome. It's really easy to use, and it can pop into full screen mode like I'm in windows. I can have it running at the same time as Mac OS. If you don't need to do that, just use bootcamp.

There is an abundance of freeware apps that you can use to do some stuff on your computer. I have a lot of different stuff, so if you're interested, just ask...I can type out a list.

Have fun, you'll learn a lot just by using it.

OP
N
Reaction score
There is no Tap to click in windows. you must press the button to click.
In order to right click in windows you use 2 fingers on the trackpad then click the button.
delete key is actually a backspace key. sometimes will not act like you would expect. like highlighlighting a folder and hitting delete does nothing.

you can use AVG free antivirus for windows. its an excellent free antivirus.

Thanks everyone by the way for the responses, very helpful!! I am not usually up for using Anti-Virus software to be honest, so if I can run a good Mac (I am also very careful at what I download and look at) without AV software, I am happy.

And real quick to confirm, you're saying if I BootCamp Windows XP and want to right click i put say, my Middle and Index finger on the touchpad (granted I am not using a USB mouse) and then press the button to get a shell menu?

And that if I bootcamp windows, in order to actually, DELETE something, instead of using the Backspace key which is DELETE for MACOSX then I need to right click and do it manually?

Also, what do you guys prefer, that I bootcamp Windows or that I use the way to run Windows and mac at the sametime? or are both possible, if say, I just wanted to be running windows at one point?

I would probably do most of my torrenting in Windows, however, I do want to be able to do it on the MacOSX if I am working on something. I thought uTorrent also had a MACOSX version?

I am not really sure what I want to use on Windows that Mac won't support yet, I would say computer games but I actually don't play them much anymore so it's not a big deal to me. That's actually one of the reasons I got a MacBook (the graphics card in it isn't as superior for gaming, but it didn't bother me much), mostly for design, e-mail, etc. I just want the comfort of having the best of both worlds, even though I am not totally against Leopard yet because I really have never used it, and who knows, maybe I will REALLY like it more than Windows.

Is there anything to say about the performance of the *Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory*... Stinks that it's shared with the main memory but I can't expect much out of a card like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
And that if I bootcamp windows, in order to actually, DELETE something, instead of using the Backspace key which is DELETE for MACOSX then I need to right click and do it manually?

That reminds me, learn the little symbols for the keyboards. I'm still not used to which is Alt, Shift, etc... I only know the symbol for command. Also, Delete is "Backspace."

OP
N
Reaction score
Ah thanks! So the only MAIN thing I need to know when running windows on it is the KEY differences, like ALT will obviously not have the ALT key it'll be one of those keys down by where ALT would be, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.