• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

You're Having a Bad Day When Your Car is Stolen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yup, it's gone missing. I know the doors were locked, the windows were up, and the alarm was engaged but it's not where I parked it last night.

Whoo Hoo [/sarcasm] Fun times, right. Just a year prior (May 5th), I started this thread cause somone jacked the tires and rims off my baby.

So, you see a red Honda del Sol in Chicago with back and silver Konig rims on it, PM me or call the police.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yup, it's gone missing. I know the doors were locked, the windows were up, and the alarm was engaged but it's not where I parked it last night.

Whoo Hoo [/sarcasm] Fun times, right. Just a year prior (May 5th), I started this thread cause somone jacked the tires and rims off my baby.

So, you see a red Honda del Sol in Chicago with back and silver Konig rims on it, PM me or call the police.

Ugh! You're kidding me! Why would someone jack a 10+ year old car? I mean, no offense, but there's got to be more lucrative targets out there. Had to be a joyrider or something.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's 13 years old. That decade of cars are highly sought after by tuners. They could drop in a stolen engine and have a nice car. It had a few little nice upgrades.

The body was in great shape. It's never been in an accident so it'd make a great car for parts, being such a hard car to find these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Wow sorry to hear that man, I will keep a look out as i drive a ton for work. have you filed a police report already?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's 13 years old. That decade of cars are highly sought after by tuners. They could drop in a stolen engine and have a nice car. It had a few little nice upgrades.

The body was in great shape. It's never been in an accident so it'd make a great car for parts, being such a hard car to find these days.

True, I didn't think of that.

Back in the mid-90's, my sister had an '87 Chevy Celebrity. It was an ugly, piece of junk car that eventually burned to the ground. But I remember someone trying to steal it. Apparently she found the driver's side door ajar and the steering column was all beat up, but they never got away with it for whatever reason. That always perplexed me, considering that it was probably the cruddiest vehicle on the block.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, sorry to hear that. I'm sure your insurance will take care of you, but it'll be hard to replace that car. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be found since it's not exactly a common car on the road.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that sucks.

especially since it'll be hard to really replace and blue book won't value the car for what it's really worth, just as a 13 year old honda.

people who screw with other people rides should be dealt with in the same way horse theives used to be.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had liability on it, seeing I wasn't willing to pay $300 a month to cover a $3000 vehicle. I will call up the alarm company, Viper, because I think they'll cover something, I hope.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh man...

want to buy a 98 forester? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Ugh! You're kidding me! Why would someone jack a 10+ year old car? I mean, no offense, but there's got to be more lucrative targets out there. Had to be a joyrider or something.

The 10-15 year mark is the sweet spot for car thieves. Cars are mostly stolen for parts, not for transportation or resale. A car worth $4000 can have parts worth twice that or more if sold individually.

New cars are too hard to unload. People buying a car expect a title transfer and possibly even a dealer warranty. Unless you can ship them to Russia or South America, there's nothing you can do with a new car. Besides, many cars now have electronic keys tied to the engine management computer. Disabling those can make a car unreliable. And most people who have new cars buy new parts (or get them from the dealer under warranty) so breaking down a new car for parts doesn't make sense, either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I feel for ya, man. Sorry for your loss.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh man...

want to buy a 98 forester? ;)

No thanks. I will stick with Honda or Toyota if I decide to buy a new/ used car. It depends if I can afford one. I also now live in the city so transportation is plentiful. I live a mile and a half from work and three miles from the g/f. I could get by without a car if I wanted to.

I'd be another two seater too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No thanks. I will stick with Honda or Toyota if I decide to buy a new/ used car. It depends if I can afford one. I also now live in the city so transportation is plentiful. I live a mile and a half from work and three miles from the g/f. I could get by without a car if I wanted to.

I'd be another two seater too.

I just realized I didn't say it before, so I'm sorry for your loss. It's going to be tough to find a replacement for a car you've taken such care of for the kind of money insurance will likely reimburse you.

I wonder what a nice, 02-05 MR2 would fetch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry to hear that bry!

I agree about living in the city though... if you've got good public transportation, a car isn't really a necessity.

We have our old VW Beetle, but we don't really use it much at all. Only to get the occasional load of shopping and to visit relatives who live a bit further out in the 'burbs.

A two-seater eh? I saw just the car for you on the interwebs recently...

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realized I didn't say it before, so I'm sorry for your loss. It's going to be tough to find a replacement for a car you've taken such care of for the kind of money insurance will likely reimburse you.

I wonder what a nice, 02-05 MR2 would fetch?

I had liability so I won't see a cent unless the car alarm company sends me a check.

I was thinking about an MR2 for my next car but they seem to run $8000 which is probably out of my league with a loan. A little CRX or a Miata or something. The mid 90's Celica would be ok.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Tesla would be amazing but at 100G, it's $95,000 more than I want to spend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
A Tesla would be amazing but at 100G, it's $95,000 more than I want to spend.

Pfft... I hear your fed is giving away free money! What's a little bit of debt when you've got awesomeness on wheels!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had liability so I won't see a cent unless the car alarm company sends me a check.

I was thinking about an MR2 for my next car but they seem to run $8000 which is probably out of my league with a loan. A little CRX or a Miata or something. The mid 90's Celica would be ok.

Oh no, you've got to be kidding! Didn't the alarm have a passive starter kill?

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh no, you've got to be kidding! Didn't the alarm have a passive starter kill?

I don't know what that is. But it had a manual tranny so they could have pushed down the street and it would have started up without the battery, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.