Bonjour won't load on vista pc

Reaction score
Hi,

Just got a macbook pro, and airport extreme for home. wife has two pc's and I have one more. I installed bonjour on an xp machine, no sweat. I cannot get it to stick on the vista machine! Driving me crazy. I installed it with the download, says it goes on. Not in programs, go to program file and it has a folder, but only 3 programs totaling 500K, its a 2 meg file. Install airport utility with the cd, even prompts me if I want a bonjour printer wizard shortcut, I say yes. Its nowhere to be found.

Thanks, mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Did you download the vista version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
It looks like it's just one version (Bonjour 1.0.4) for whichever version of Windows you're using.

Normally I'd blame security issues as it's Vista, but then if that were the case I suspect the install would be all or nothing, rather than the little bit you seemed to get. I know under XP you get a Bonjour folder under Program Files and there's about 3Mb of stuff in it (including the Printer Wizard). It could be that the Vista install is different and it puts some files somewhere else, e.g. under a Vista system folder somewhere? What you need is someone with Vista who's installed it and can say what files to look for.

Other things you could check to see if the install succeeded - look for the mDNSResponder process in Task Manager. If it's there, then try running thru the standard Vista Add Printer wizard to see if it discovers your Bonjour printer? Also, have a look under your Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to see if there's a Bonjour entry.

Other than that, I'm a bit short on suggestions I'm afraid :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 2.4GHz, 2GB ram 15.4
I have installed Bonjour on Vista. In All Programs - Folder Bonjour -containing file "about Bonjour" and the Bonjour Printer Wizard. Is your machine 64 - bit? because that is a different download.

OP
D
Reaction score
Not a 64-bit. It shows in program files, but only 3 files in the folder, amounting to about 500K. wizard is not there. It even prompts me to make a shortcut for wizard and it doesnt show up!

Ughhhh...

Anyone?

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.