Another "To Applecare or not" thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
My normal warranty is up next week. It's a Black Macbook 2.0GHz C2D.

Now, i'm not afraid of hard drive failure. Drives are cheaper than Applecare. Same thing with the Superdrive, airport card, ect. The only thing that scares me if the computer developing the flicker, or any type of logic board failure down the road.

I'm fairly proficient in working on electronics. I repair and modify guitar amps, and i've built a few. I can handle replacing a logic board. The issue is whether or not I should spend the cash on the warranty. What do you think the chances are that i'd have a logic board failure with it?

-Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My normal warranty is up next week. It's a Black Macbook 2.0GHz C2D.

Now, i'm not afraid of hard drive failure. Drives are cheaper than Applecare. Same thing with the Superdrive, airport card, ect. The only thing that scares me if the computer developing the flicker, or any type of logic board failure down the road.

I'm fairly proficient in working on electronics. I repair and modify guitar amps, and i've built a few. I can handle replacing a logic board. The issue is whether or not I should spend the cash on the warranty. What do you think the chances are that i'd have a logic board failure with it?

-Nick

Extended warranties are always a crap shoot. Think of it as protection and peace of mind. Are you OK with spending money on a major repair? How much is a logic board, display, motherboard, etc. ? How much is your time worth? How long do you intend to keep your machine?

All questions you need to consider.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
I think on a desktop its a reasonable idea not to get applecare , But I think on laptops for me it would be a must!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz ALU MacBook
I don't know how you purchased your Mac, but I bought both of mine on my American Express and they double the manufacturer's warranty. So I have 2 years. Most credit card companies have some sort of buyer protection..you might look into that if that's how you purchased it.

P.S. I have a friend who actually used their buyer protection to replace a bad display after the original warranty expired. They let Apple fix it and the CCC picked up 100% of the tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I agree that the extended warranties are, at best, a gamble. And like Vegas, the game is usually stacked in their favor. But, I bought Applecare for the peace of mind and a potential boost in resale value if I want to upgrade someday.

I just posted this article in another thread about a consumer reports report that I thought was very interesting and strengthens my contentment with buying Applecare:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9938550-1.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Today I'm getting ready to take my wife's Blackbook to the Apple Store to fix a screen flicker. For the second time. We upgraded the warrantee to Apple Care when it hit the end of the one year deal and I'm glad we did.

Anecdotal, to be sure, but I'm certainly glad for it. Dang screen inverters. My white is also under Apple Care and it's been invoked a number of times for other issues (Mighty Mouse scroll ball, groovy CD drive.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Personally, for a laptop I'm definitely getting AppleCare. It's something that you're probably going to be taking with you to many places, subjecting it to potential damage. Why take the risk? As far as I know AppleCare covers pretty much everything that could possibly go wrong, so I'd get it just for the peace of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I don't know how you purchased your Mac, but I bought both of mine on my American Express and they double the manufacturer's warranty. So I have 2 years. Most credit card companies have some sort of buyer protection..you might look into that if that's how you purchased it.

P.S. I have a friend who actually used their buyer protection to replace a bad display after the original warranty expired. They let Apple fix it and the CCC picked up 100% of the tab.

That reminds me, do you happen to know the restrictions? I know Mastercard has some but I purchased mine with Amex before my friend told me that. I never got a good look at it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That reminds me, do you happen to know the restrictions? I know Mastercard has some but I purchased mine with Amex before my friend told me that. I never got a good look at it.

We purchased ours using Amex also. I remember reading all the legalese that's included with the card information. There are restrictions and it does pay to dig out your Amex card agreement info and look it over.

We decided to buy Apple Care anyway. BTW, Mastercard has pretty much the same legalese in their card member agreement.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, just got back from the Apple Store for the second time today. They repaired it within three hours. Appointment was for 1pm, and I hadn't been home for more than an hour when the phone rang. Fixed. Granted my Apple store is about 20 minutes away but still, fast service. And my Apple store is Busy with a capital 'B'.

Because we decided to extend our warrantees it went from "Ooooh, your screen inverter went out? Oh dear you're out of warrantee good luck with that credit card warrantee or pay $$$" to "Screen flicker? Okay, sign here and we'll call you when - oh, it's fixed here is your Macbook back." No sending it who knows where and wait who knows how long to get it fixed.

That sort of service is why big corporations get service contracts with their hardware. They enjoy the ability to pick up the phone and have a tech there NOW, and with Apple Care, so can you. Well, okay you gotta take it in and if you don't have an Apple store nearby you might have to send it but at least you'll know where it's going and that it will be fixed.

I highly recommend it if you have a store near you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
My advice... 'tis better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it ;-)

The same goes for condoms, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.