zune on Mac?

Reaction score
hello
i have a zune music player and i am wondering if i have to buy windows to use boot camp or if zunes can run on macs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as I know Microsoft has made NO drivers available for OSX. So one would have to use Windows on a Mac to access and load music on the Zune. I am hoping that changes in the future for those who like the Zune but I would bet more on some 3rd party support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Nope, no Zune drivers for OSX. By the way if you live outside the USA you can't even use the Zune marketplace, MS have really tight region control on this product!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
You'll have to run Windows to use that zune. I'd sell it and get an iPod. They work on both platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You didn't buy the brown one did you?!

OP
I
Reaction score
You didn't buy the brown one did you?!

no lol i got the new 80gb but now im thinkin of sellin it and gettin an ipod or something because i dont wanna deal with windows right now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
haha... zune, even the names bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Although not my choice, the Zune is not a bad product at all. Let's not hate just because it's from MS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm with Mike, the new Zune is a pretty decent device. But it's lack of OS X compatibility makes an otherwise great product to be rather lame.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have no hate for the Zune. It just will not work with the hardware I use for Music, so to me it's of no use. Otherwise it's not a bad device at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Depends what you want to get from an MP3 player. I can't see anything to differentiate offerings from MS, Philips or Creative. The iPod is something special though. If you're going to imitate it, it has just be at least as good. If not, you have to offer something a lot different.

I don't think the Zune does either and you get the impression buying one now would leave you with a temporary product. There's the feeling they're just testing the water, not trying to create something revolutionary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm with Mike, the new Zune is a pretty decent device. But it's lack of OS X compatibility makes an otherwise great product to be rather lame.

It looks like a bar of soap. An ugly bar of soap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Although not my choice, the Zune is not a bad product at all. Let's not hate just because it's from MS.
Hate? I don't hate any company. Microsoft is what it is ... a company trying to compete in an extraordinarily competitive market. My comment recommending selling the Zune and purchasing an iPod was based on the fact that MS is still way far behind in this market and, frankly, will probably never achieve the success Apple has. iTunes continues to grow in popularity and continues to develop into something more and more people want to use and an iPod simply fits right into that plan. The Zune isn't a bad product, however, it isn't an iPod. As of right now (and the foreseeable future) an iPod is a better choice for a portable media player than the Zune or any of the others, for that matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Seeing what Microsoft is doing with MSN Music store customers, I wouldn't trust any music product from them again.

If the Zune doesn't pan out, you'll be stuck with a bunch of Zune marketplace tracks or points you won't be able to access...

Disgusting!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Seeing what Microsoft is doing with MSN Music store customers, I wouldn't trust any music product from them again.

If the Zune doesn't pan out, you'll be stuck with a bunch of Zune marketplace tracks or points you won't be able to access...

Disgusting!

Yeah, I wasn't one to bash the Zune either, but after I saw that, I lost all faith in them duplicating or even approaching the success of the iTMS. The iPod is only half of the equation, it's the iTMS that really makes the package complete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
A bunch of people are replying that I wasn't referring to :) If you weren't "hating" there's no need to worry. It started with the comment "haha... zune, even the names bad," which is liable to lead things down the wrong path. I was attempting to get the conversation back on track before we ever had to go down that road.

Obviously, if you own a mac, you're going to have difficulties using the product. There's no harm in pointing that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
When I saw the first Zune, I thought it was a very impractical design (a wheel that doesn't spin?). The new Zune is pretty and I like the design. The name is still wonky but I like the squircle idea. The Zune marketplace is nice looking but no iTunes killer....not even in the same arena.

I love and applaud competition between tech companies (we all benefit from it) but I think Microsoft really botched the Zune.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
As we all know, the Zune isn't necessarily the only external device that has difficulty with the Mac platform. I have a Palm device which doesn't sync very well with my Mac even though I got the Missing Sync and Palm Desktop for Mac. It just doesn't work well since it doesn't support many features. Not a big deal since I'm kind of moving things like scheduling and contacts over to the native iCal and address book for those types of things since I now have a portable Mac. It's usually with me when I need it.

I haven't even bothered to try to get my Windows Pocket PC PDA working with my Mac, but that will be earmarked for whatever Windows PC my future employer might issue me, or possibly my Parallels VM. Sometimes you need to keep it Win to Win, and Mac to Mac.

Anecdotal story: I was at the Apple store today picking up my wife's Macbook from a repair. While waiting for them to bring it out there was a young woman who had brought in her iPod for something or other which was not clear by her description. Something about the music files or other and the 'Genius' was attempting to figure out what her problem was; a difficult proposition when dealing with the non-tech public. She wanted to demonstrate what her problem was to the tech so she brought her computer in for this purpose. I observed her picking up her laptop bag and when she opened it up inside was a largish Dell portable computer.

I was tempted to lean over and say to her "Well, there's your problem" but refrained. O:)

At least with the iPod it works across two platforms. The Zune, not so much. Intentionally by its' manufacturer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.