Switched to MacPro cant Switch to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I believe the MacBook Pro to be one of the finest laptops in the world. I have only bought one- for my daughter to go to college. But I cant buy any for my business (have about 20 laptops for my employees) because of ONE major flaw that Stevie J has to fix and fix with the new release of the MBP-
The new units MUST accomodate an APLE manufactured docking station.
!
The MBP is a true desktop replacement but why would I want to have to unhook and rehook all peripherlas back in every morning - especially a remote monitor. Yes someone makes a kludgy third party version but MBP MUST have this for businesses. When they come out with the new version and it has a true docking station (I believe it will) Apples share will skyrocket among business owners. Especially since the newer MBP's will be even thinnner and lighter than the current ones.

Oh and having a 1680 x 1050 resolution on the 15" version wont hurt either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I do not believe you'll see a first party docking station from Apple. It'd be nice, but I don't think it'll happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've seen a third party docking station but at $700, that's insane! A docking station is weird for the MBP because all of the ports are on the sides of the laptop instead of the back. It has to expand and contract while keeping the look of the MBP.

The iMac is the MBP replacement. It's a nicer desktop than any MBP with a docking station at a fraction of the cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
most of the docking stations I've used utilize a bottom port on the laptop.

the iMac is nice, but != portable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a port on the bottom of the MBP?

It's actually $300. BookEndz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, but there is on the Thinkpad, Lenovo's, the Toshiba's I've worked with as well as (IIRC) Dells. That port provides all connections, including power. The third party docking station I've seen for the MBP does not look like there is any gain...

Docking stations normally run $150+ so $300 isn't hugely out of line.

OP
Z
Reaction score
The bookEndz one is a good third party attempt but again nothing beats having the high density female connector on the bottom of the laptop and just snapping it in. I think that the engineers and designers at Apple know this and I believe that next January when the new MBP is unveiled it will have a full docking station. And in true Apple fashion it will cost $600!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bookEndz one is a good third party attempt but again nothing beats having the high density female connector on the bottom of the laptop and just snapping it in. I think that the engineers and designers at Apple know this and I believe that next January when the new MBP is unveiled it will have a full docking station. And in true Apple fashion it will cost $600!!!

I doubt that. When was the last time Apple made a docking station for their laptop? (The DuoDock II was discontinued in 1995.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.