• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need 286 Computer Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
hi all,
here is my problem. i have a 286 computer that runs this little program from a floppy. it has no hard drive and it just uses a 3.5 floppy. the floppy drive stopped responding and while troubleshooting that the power stopped coming on. we have decided to replace the computer.

does anyone know where i can get a 2, 3, or 486 computer easily? as in not on an auction site?

TIA,
Dylan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sometimes local Thrift Stores are a great place to find older systems. Also Ebay. I have a working 286 here that was my first real PC and it still works.

You did not by chance unplug the floppy completely and see if the system then powers on? Ran into that once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Don't rule out an auction site, i.e. eBay. I purchased a beautiful old 486 system there about a year ago. There are lots and lots of them for sale, and at quite reasonable prices. I would recommend that you check them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I wouldn't rule out an auction site.
You can always try craigslist.
Thrift stores, pawn shops, always good places to shop. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I have an old 8088 IBM clone that still works :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an old 8088 IBM clone that still works :p

Is yours that first one with the model 5151? If so I still have one. Works fine. Just very slow! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I am honestly not sure. It is sitting at my dads house. I will look next time I am over :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Get a copy of VMWare, and create an image of the floppy (either with a PC that has a floppy drive, or a USB floppy drive.)

Hey, it's a Mac forum. What do you expect?

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
thanks all for the replies. i have been underway for a couple of days. ok, the auction theory is great but, it is for work and i work for the government so it makes it really complicated. i went over to my regional maintenance center and we found a computer that had an AT power supply. so that part is fixed. i didnt have time to really work with it today, but i am going to be underway for a week and i will have plenty of time then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
You are using a 286 for work? With the government?

Richest country in the world baby! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.