• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

firewire extension for isight SOME PRO PLEASE HELP:(

Reaction score
I've posted this the other day in a different section on this site, and haven't had any luck with an answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help.
I am trying to run close to 50-60 feet of firewire over to where my LCD TV is located to power my isight camera from my Mac Mini and am having problems.

It was suggested that I buy (5) "IEEE-1394a Extension Cables" (says on package can be cascaded up to 10 of these) to help power the isight at the end of this long run. I purchased these cables, and daisy chained them together, ending with the run to my camera, yet it didn't seem to work. I'd get my green light on my cam for a second, then it would freeze my ichat program.

I'd really like to be able to do this yet have no idea how to make this work. My "media Center" is located at one end of this room, so it's where the computer lives already.

LAtest horrible update- now my isight doesn't want to work after plugging in those repeaters. ARGGGG- Green light comes on for a sec, then shuts off. I'll deal with tying to figure that out next. I hope someone out there has some good ideas.

I'm hoping someone knows how to fix this problem.

Please help:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I can't be much help but found this on wikipedia under the firewire entry.
Cable length is limited to 4.5 metres (14.8 ft), although up to 16 cables can be daisy chained using active repeaters, external hubs, or internal hubs often present in FireWire equipment. The S400 standard limits any configuration's maximum cable length to 72 meters.

Perhaps the reason the iSight isn't working is that not enough power is being delivered to it. But of course you first have to find out why a direct connection isn't working right now. I'd reboot the Mac with the camera directly connected to see if it magically resets.

OP
Z
Reaction score
xstep- Thanks for that. I need to spend some time to get my isight working again... but I had checked that wikipedia before buying my cables, that's why I tried what I had already done. Plus, the seller at the cable place said this would work:(

Oh well, thanks

ANYONE ELSE???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.