new vmware makes switching easier

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
When I switched to mac, one thing that I still had to use windows for was gaming. Bootcamp worked fine for this, but it was really annoying to restart the computer in order to switch OS's and parallels and vmware couldn't really handle games. Now the beta for vmware fusion 2.0 is out and it can handle DX 9 with shaders. I tried playing civ 4 on it, and it ran PERFECTLY. I'm not here to advertise for them or anything, but I know this is a godsend for me and I wanted to put the word out for others who want to run windows on their macs, now gaming is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
VMWare have done great things with virtualization technology, we use their products from ESX Server downwards extensively in our company, and it's good to see them putting as much effort in at the other end of the scale with the desktop products.

I love the 'Unity' feature of Fusion 1.5 on my Mac and it's supposed to get even better in 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1.5? Am I missing an update or 3? 1.1.2 and I updated it 2 days ago (bought the license less than a month ago for that matter)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
My bad... I meant 1.1.2. Had something else on my brain as I was typing :Blushing:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When I switched to mac, one thing that I still had to use windows for was gaming. Bootcamp worked fine for this, but it was really annoying to restart the computer in order to switch OS's and parallels and vmware couldn't really handle games. Now the beta for vmware fusion 2.0 is out and it can handle DX 9 with shaders. I tried playing civ 4 on it, and it ran PERFECTLY. I'm not here to advertise for them or anything, but I know this is a godsend for me and I wanted to put the word out for others who want to run windows on their macs, now gaming is possible.

What an amazing difference. I switched from Parallels, but found that although Fusion supports DX9, I couldn't get any DX8/9 games to work - even those that had run in Parallels.

But with the 2.0 beta, I'm actually able to run Half-Life 2, which ran badly on Parallels. It's not perfect, mind you, but it is playable. Wow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.