• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie to WMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
idk
is there anyway possible, at all, to convert videos from imovie to a file accepted by windows movie maker?

reason: i am the only skateboarder around with a mac, obviously superior in the editing sector. all my friends would like to edit and mess around with their footage i film of them. is there a way for me to send them this footage with a decent quality?

please give details, i am new to the mac world and editing area.

thanks in advance!

OP
skate___board
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
idk
is there anyway to get my imported videos on my imovie to my friends windows movie maker?

we both edit skateboarding and i do not have the original tape

please post or email [email protected]

thanks

OP
skate___board
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
idk
figured out.. wmv files to iMovie

k get ready for the most looked for answer on the web.

how do i get my wmv files in imovie, ready to edit and share?

Well, heres the little tutorial on how.

Ill start off assuming you are on a mac, or else why would you read this thread. So google iSquint, it is a converter commonly used for converting ripped DVDs to get on your ipod. it is known as an FLV-MP4 converter, but does much, much more.

Now, get the wmv files on your mac. (easiest way i found, transfer files through AIM).

they should show up as opening with movie maker in parallels. im not sure what happens if you dont have parallels.

now, right click the file youd like to convert to imovie's format and click "Get Info." in the Names & Extentions secton, change the extention to ".dv." / hit enter, and click "Change to .dv" on the right of the prompt window.

now, locate the file on your desktop. open isquint, and select your options. i prefer,

optimize for TV
GO NUTS resolution

and click the file from your desktop and drag it to the striped queue list.

hit start.

depending on the size of the clip, usually short/medium, it will take a couple seconds to a couple minutes to convert to a format imovie recognizes.

it will appear on your desktop and a window will pop up to announce it has finished.

you will now have a .dv file (originally wmv, remember?) and a new file.

open imovie, and select File > Import. select your NEW movie file. hit okay.

ENJOY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Nice post.

I'm wondering, did you really have to change the extension of the source file to .dv? If so, please explain the why.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.