Does installing Windows XP just for games=viruses?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Now that I've pretty much decided that I'm going to get a Macbook [even though I've been a Windows user since foreverrr but am up for something new] I have one burning question that makes or breaks purchase: If I install Windows XP via Boot Camp just for some simple/light gaming and DO NOT go on the internet or download anything sketchy, I am still at risk of getting viruses or other junkk? Please let me know! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Well... If you do not connect to the internet at all, then there should be no chance of you getting viruses. (unless the games you are installing are contaminated)

Even if you do connect to the internet, there is no increased (or decreased) risk of a mac running windows from getting viruses than any other windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
The biggest risk you will run is what you consider anything sketchy. I ran Windows for 17 years in various flavors and did not use anti-virus software but was very, very careful. Didn't get a virus (actually some malware) until earlier this year. I had downloaded a patch for a game I ran and the distributor of the patch decided to add in some extra "goodies". You do need to be very vigilant if you are not going to run AV software.

Reaction score
Basically, when you run Windows you need anti-virus software. If you're running Windows natively vs in a virtual machine (like in Parallels or Fusion) you need to be even more careful. In a VM, the VM can get a virus but it won't affect the rest of the system. I don't think the fixed boot camp partition is quite as safe. Having said that, with a good AV program you should be fine - just as fine as you would be on a windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
install AVG free antivirus on your windows partition and free zone alarm firewall and you should be set.

Reaction score
Even if it does get infected, its little chance that you will download a virus that can migrate from Windows partition to OSX and be effective.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Although it probably wouldn't happen today from MS, I have seen a virus on an official retail MS Windows CD.

You will be pretty safe as long as you're not browsing the net, never download anything from the net, don't use e-mail and never put any disk in the machine except a new blank disk.

Personally, I never put any disk or run any downloaded program, patch, etc. in windows without first scanning it. There are a couple of good free anti-virus programs out there including AVGfree.

And as stated above, even if you do pick up something, it will not infect the Mac side.

OP
italiana92
Reaction score
ok awesome this is all great info thank you all for getting back to me!! its also really great to know that in the case that *let's hope not* the windows side gets something, my mac side would be safe :D . so basically if i have AVGfree or another decent anti-virus i'm set? oh and i know this sorrrrtta contradicts what i said, ;D but say i wanted to download a few mods for the game i would wanna play...if i scan that stuff first obviously and find its clean that's legit right?

Reaction score
yes. you should be fine with a good AV program, like AVG or Kaspersky or whatever you pick.

OP
italiana92
Reaction score
ok awesome thanks soooo much everyone!! i cant wait to get my mbp im too excited for words! thanks again, ciao!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.