• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

When is the next PowerBook revision coming?

S

StealthMode

Just curious if anyone knows when the next PB revision is coming out. Looking to upgrade mine next summer after Tiger comes out. Get the package deal basically. Any ideas what the update might entail? Obviosuly faster CPU, but, any ideas how much faster? I have the latest version of the 15 Ti. Thanks :)

OP
S

StealthMode

Thanks, I'm not worried about this year yet. I'm just wondering what we might be seeing this spring/early summer of 05. Thats when I'll be buying more than likely.

But if thats all the news so far, I can wait :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well if the current revision has been pushed back to the beginning of 2005, chances are the next revision (normally may/june) will also be pushed back somewhat.

So I'd guess the next revision will be January/February and the one after that July/August.

Apart from a speed bump you might also see dual-core processors by freescale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
maybe a G5, if they can make the iMac G5 know, By jan they may be able to fit it in PB's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
They will not have G5's in PB's until at least summer of 05 but I wouldn't expect it until later

OP
S

StealthMode

Aptmunich said:
Well if the current revision has been pushed back to the beginning of 2005, chances are the next revision (normally may/june) will also be pushed back somewhat.

So I'd guess the next revision will be January/February and the one after that July/August.

Apart from a speed bump you might also see dual-core processors by freescale.

I'm hoping to see the dual core by next summer when I buy my new PB, that along with Tiger should be a decent upgrade :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
i'm planning on getting a 12" pbook during the xmas holidays.. i'm a uni. student and well my budget is not quite high - do you think that getting one during the holidays would be a good time - or just a wait till the new revisions come out.. but i predict that the new revisions would be over my budget..

OP
S

StealthMode

Well, I don't know about you, but I don't want to order a new one now, and then have the new versions come out a month later... Thats what happened when bought my PB (first mac btw :) ) I bought the last Ti model they made, and boom, the new Aluminum models come out... no big deal, I thought they were ugly..but their specs were so much better, the 15in finally got DDR, new video card, and some more goodies... So I'm just going to wait until the new revisions are out along with Tiger, then I am splurging ;)

Reaction score
It wont be comming out any time soon. Even if they can fit all the fans and components inside, then how would the battery handle it. The battery would die in like 1h with all the energy used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
but how much "better" would it - other than having a faster clock speed.. and such..

i mean i'm buying a powerbook simply for the sake of being able to do hw.. and take it home over w/ends since i live out of city for univ.. and i'm not exactly a power user.. at least i dont think i am - surf net, msn, assignmnets

my main concern would be - that i found out they slashed the prices significantly.. not to mention i'm going to be financing this laptop..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
for laptops, efficiency is more important.

the G4s (in PBs) is more efficient than current G5 chips. less pipeline stages at lower clock speeds is about as good as many pipeline stages at higher clock speeds (keyword: about). this isnt all thats important in processors, but its a big determinant of "raw" speed. but as shaun mentioned, the battery life would be sacrificed to the energy gods in exchange for higher clock speeds (bigger processors, heat syncs, etc).

youll notice more improvement in system performance by getting more memory (RAM). a G4 PB with 2GB of memory would still fly. if price is what bothers you, look into buying a used 1GHz PB instead of a 1.25GHz, and the couple hundred you save can go towards the memory.

and dont buy memory from the stores unless they have some sort of free deal when you buy a comp from them. and definitely dont buy from the Apple store or apple online. they charged almost double what the store i worked at charged, and we were over priced. browse PriceWatch.com and buy from someone with a 60% or greater feedback (this isnt very necessary since to be accepted on price watch they need proof of a few thousand sales and at least a year of business, but it means people are really satisfied with how fast they ship). i reccomend micron memory because all their memory has a lifetime garauntee, but they all do the same thing, just some have a higher yield of tested memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
Well I hope that they NEVER revise the powerbook EVER again (unlikely I know) because I just received a new 17" powerbook direct from the Apple Store (for a lot of money) and I will DIE if a better one comes out soon. Look guys just do yourselves a favor (and then you can reassure me that it was the right time) and get one now. You know you want one. I waited months for this baby (after using this helpful website) and I wonder how I coped without it for so long! Its a dream come true.....

Reaction score
Isn't there suppose to be an upgrade model (still G4) in January or February??

OP
S

StealthMode

Yea, basically. Thats why I am waiting, Tiger and a new laptop in one shot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.