what is it and how do I protect myself?

Reaction score
ok folks, I was in the commons at the university and got on my laptop. I noticed in the finder on the left I had devices (normal) Places (normal) search for (normal) but there was something else there this time...I think it was "shares." Anyway I believe well ok I know they were other peoples mac computers! holly crap! I could see some of their stuff! files photos etc. What in the world is this and how am I to secure my laptop from someone else seeing what is on mine. Or for that matter seeing mine at all. is there a way. please explain this for my poor simple blown away mind.:eek:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok folks, I was in the commons at the university and got on my laptop. I noticed in the finder on the left I had devices (normal) Places (normal) search for (normal) but there was something else there this time...I think it was "shares." Anyway I believe well ok I know they were other peoples mac computers! holly crap! I could see some of their stuff! files photos etc. What in the world is this and how am I to secure my laptop from someone else seeing what is on mine. Or for that matter seeing mine at all. is there a way. please explain this for my poor simple blown away mind.:eek:

The others you were seeing had sharing turned on and were sharing certain folders. You can ensure that yours is turned off by checking your sharing settings in System Preferences. Additionally, you can hide your computer altogether by changing the advanced firewall settings to "stealth" mode in System Preferences => Security.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.