Mac Slowing Down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL
I am still relatively new to Mac OS's, since I just got my Macbook Pro in December. I don't know if it is my imagination, but my mac seems to be gradually slowing down, and I have no idea why! I have Onyx but am afraid to use it because I don't want it to wipe out all of my custom settings or anything like that. Is there a program (or at least configuration of Onyx) that I can use to clean out and speed up my Mac? Any help would be great!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL
All I can do there is repair permissions which I just did. Will that do what I need it to do? Such as remove the excess crap from my Mac?

moi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15 inch
cleanapp is good,im using it just now,im having that same problem,but my mac isnt gradually slowing down,i installed about three programs yesterday and when i shut it down it took a real long while,and when i turned it back on just now it took me about ten minutes to do anything,im very anoyyed because i dont think thats suppossed to be happening,im gonna try some spyware removals to see if thats whats wrong

moi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15 inch
im using cleanapp right now to download stuff i dont need,but since i bought a used computer,theres a lot of programs here that i dont even know what their for...im gonna have to google em all to see if they can be of use,sigh!and i was suppossed to be making a school project for tomorrow,i hate these things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yea it's a good idea to not install applications you rarely use. I'm very careful with applications now and only install what I use. Like I want Office 2008 but I have iwork so no point in having two. Also some programs like photoshop are huge. I want that too but I'm rethinking it as I have another graphics program which is doing the job for me:)

Good luck and hope your Mac is faster again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Run maintenance scrips in Onyx. There are caches and such that can use a clearing and rebuilding once in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OnyX will make a big difference. It will not wipe out your custom settings but it will noticeably speed up your machine. Give it a whirl. It is safe.

Reaction score
I'm very new to Onyx and two years new to Mac.

I too was a tad apprehensive about screwing up. But I figured that seeing as I had just backed up my machine using Time Machine and read everything on Onyx there was really nothing else to do but set it going. To be honest? nothing bad like I though would happen did happen. And my machne is a lot happier thanks to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
im gonna try some spyware removals to see if thats whats wrong

There is no spyware for OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.