Running Process at Startup

T

tux08902

My preferred method of playing music is through MPD + ncmpc. Being a Linux user for the past 5 years, you know where that comes from. I installed MPD through MacPorts, configured it, installed ncmpc, dropped in my configuration, and it all works fine. However, I need to know how to start it upon boot. MPD is a daemon; on Gentoo Linux, I could just add it to the default runlevel or start it by running /etc/init.d/mpd start. In OS X, I've added it to the login items, but it runs mpd in a terminal every time I boot. Then, I have to close the terminal because I don't use the default Terminal.app, I use xterm. Anyway, how can I start MPD in the background, hopefully as a daemon, like I have on Linux for years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Go to system preferences=>Accounts=>Click on your Account=>Login Items, add the program, and then in check of the "Hide" checkbox.

OP
T

tux08902

Actually, I just wrote a launchd recipe for MPD, and it runs great. OS X does so many things like Linux and other modern Unices, but it does so many things differently as well. It does take a bit to get used to, but it's a very classy operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.