Tap clicking in windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
Does anyone know why tapping does not work in windows if you duel boot.

i installed the touchpad driver but still no tap clicking. thats pretty basic functionality to lose :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does anyone know why tapping does not work in windows if you duel boot.

i installed the touchpad driver but still no tap clicking. thats pretty basic functionality to lose :(

Do you mean "two finger tapping" for a right-click? If so, it still works, just a bit differently. You have to hold two fingers on the trackpad and then click the mouse button. Don't know why, but that's the way the Apple-supplied driver works in Windows. My guess is that Windows just doesn't have any framework for multi-touch, so the driver can only do so much.

If you mean single finger tapping, then I'm not sure what the problem is - I can single-finger tap in Windows on my MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
This is a common question/frustration.

Here's the answer: the windows drivers for the mac mouse don't (yet) support the tap-to-click function. Unless and until Apple (or some third party) releases new driver software it isn't going to work on the Windows Boot Camp partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.