should i get a desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
i am running on a imac and i am going buy a new apple this summer laptop or desktop?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Seems like a pretty personal decision. Not sure how to help you choose as you haven't said anything about what you intend to use it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
how old is your imac? if it is relativily new you may want to consider a laptop. if you are looking to replace an older desktop and you dont need the portability you may want to go with a desk top

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
You've said absolutely nothing that will help us make a decision.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i am running on a imac and i am going buy a new apple this summer laptop or desktop?

You received some good responses which should be considered before buying a new Mac.

Here's what we did: We originally wanted to purchase an iMac but also needed the portability of a notebook computer. (You can't realistically lug around an iMac). We decided on a MacBook. When we're back at our main work location, the MacBook gets hooked up to an external Samsung 22" monitor, an Apple aluminum keyboard, and a Mighty Mouse. Works great.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
MBP...laptops are awesome..and portable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
We bought our first iMac last fall, and were so impressed by the whole Apple experience that in April we bought a 15 in. MBP to replace the aging Toshiba notebook. Just as CHSCAG posted, we have the MBP hooked up to a 22 in. Viewsonic monitor, and also have an aluminum keyboard and mighty mouse. I have the best of both worlds... an MBP with a 22 in. monitor, and one of the world's best really portable notebooks. Go with the MBP and an external monitor. We couldn't be happier:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
If your iMac is older than 4yrs then it might be time to look at getting a new one. I'm kinda hoping my January 08 iMac will last more than 4yrs as a lot of people tell me Mac's last longer in use as you don't have Windows.

If you want a computer to take around with you then a laptop is your option.

If you don't need to take a computer around, then a desktop iMac would be good.

You need to have a list of application/programs you will be using a lot. This will help you spec out a computer for your needs, then look at what's available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.