Ubuntu

Reaction score
I would really like to put ubuntu on my mac using bootcamp? Is the possible does it work, cause i know bootcamp is for windows, if not is there a safe way to do it? If not its not that big of a deal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
you might be able to run it via parallels. no promises

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would really like to put ubuntu on my mac using bootcamp? Is the possible does it work, cause i know bootcamp is for windows, if not is there a safe way to do it? If not its not that big of a deal

New version of Ubuntu (8.04) can be installed from within WinXP and will run as a virtual session if you choose to do so. I mention that in case you wanted to install XP first with Boot Camp and then run Ubuntu from WinXP.

Otherwise, the best way to install Ubuntu on your Mac is by using Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New version of Ubuntu (8.04) can be installed from within WinXP and will run as a virtual session if you choose to do so. I mention that in case you wanted to install XP first with Boot Camp and then run Ubuntu from WinXP.

Otherwise, the best way to install Ubuntu on your Mac is by using Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Regards.

Actually if you do it that way, then you haven't installed Ubuntu on your Mac. You have installed it on a virtual machine. So you are running Ubuntu on top of OS X instead of just running Ubuntu. As for running in in Windows XP...umm...well lets see...running Ubuntu on top of XP...or rather..running a stable OS on top of a less than stable Host...kinda like building a bomb shelter on a fault line??
:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
When I installed it on 10.4 PPC with fedora 7 it loaded a boot manager for me. Is that a thing of the past?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
They should all (linux distros) pretty much install a Grub bootloader by default these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Thats what I thought. is there not one for Mac though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe that Grub cares what the other OS's are since it's really only concerned with partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I recall (i have removed my linux partition on my MBP) my boot order for lack of a better word, was the machine booting, going to rEFIt, I would choose Linux and then GRUB would start. At this point GRUB didn't know about the other OS's since it was not actually starting anything other than Linux.

And on my iBook PPC YAST was the bootloader for OS X and Linux

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, I haven't had a reason to load linux on my mbp. I have enough linux boxes I can ssh into if I need anything linux specific

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, I haven't had a reason to load linux on my mbp. I have enough linux boxes I can ssh into if I need anything linux specific

Same...but I find it fun to see how linux performs on all my hardware. I have to admit that I was more than pleasantly surprised to see that Kubuntu 7.10 in it's stock configuration actually looks nicer on my MBP than OS X does. Everything seemed sharper and the colours were more vibrant and it worked like a charm. I stopped short of getting my wireless card running since I wasn't planning on keeping Linux on the MBP.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.