Too Cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I just got home with my Airport Extreme 22 minutes ago. I got my wife's iMac, my MacBook and the printer all up and running with WPA2 security in 20.5 minutes. And, WOW, this "N" router is noticeably faster than the old "G" router! I'm a happy guy! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i always wondered if it was worth upgrading a g for n. i guess it is if you actually can notice it. :)

great news everything is working for you. cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM
Hmm, that just put me over the edge...I'm going to have to go and look @ getting one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have both the airport extreme base station and the airport express for the airtunes ability. They are pretty fast and they look really nice as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Hey John, congrats. By the way you wouldn't happen to be in UCLA would you?

EDIT: For our non southern friends UCLA is the Upper Corner of Lower Alabama.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Congratulations:)

Am I right in saying the Airport Extreme is a modem/router? and what does G and N mean?

I thought all modem/routers are the same speed no matter if you have wired or wireless??

I'm all for more speed lol

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey John, congrats. By the way you wouldn't happen to be in UCLA would you?

EDIT: For our non southern friends UCLA is the Upper Corner of Lower Alabama.
No, I'm up in Decatur, near Huntsville. Hey, how's the weather down there? I was awakened this morning by our NOA radio! Fun times! :Oops:

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I right in saying the Airport Extreme is a modem/router?
Yes, the Airport Extreme is a router, however, it's not a modem.
and what does G and N mean?
These are different speeds. There are four different speeds of WIFI out there, 801.11A, B, G and N. "A" is the slowest and "N" is the fastest.
I thought all modem/routers are the same speed no matter if you have wired or wireless??
WIFI technology hasn't reached the speeds of simply being hardwired into your network, however, "G" and especially "N" routers provide some really decent speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
I'm deliberating as to whether or not to go 'N'.

I have a PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4 and just I don't fancy having a dongle hanging out of both of them. :(

Has anyone used a wireless dongle and the new faster Airports? What have your experiences been in terms of dropages and file transfer speeds?

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm deliberating as to whether or not to go 'N'.

I have a PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4 and just I don't fancy having a dongle hanging out of both of them. :(

Has anyone used a wireless dongle and the new faster Airports? What have your experiences been in terms of dropages and file transfer speeds?
I'd wait to upgrade the router until I bought a computer with an N card. My wife's iMac is hard wired in as it sits right next to the airport extreme anyway so the airport is turned off on it. My MacBook (and occasionally my Vista machine which has been turned on only once since I got this MB) are the only machines that use my WIFI, other than my father-in-law's iPod Touch and his MBP when he's around. My point of this babbling is if I didn't have this MB, I wouldn't have spent the extra money on the airport extreme.

It sure was easy to set up and has not even so much as coughed since it came online. I did change the channel during setup. I ran iStumbler and found every wireless router in the area running on channel 6, the default. So I knew I didn't want to be on 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thsnks for the reply JohnTheMacGeek:) I wonder if I should get Airport Extreme router as I like to have lot's of speed:) Something I would have to check into and make sure it give me more speed and with my ISP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
i am actaully going to upgrade this summer this post really gave me a reason to upgrade.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am actaully going to upgrade this summer this post really gave me a reason to upgrade.
Glad to be of assistance! You'll really like it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.