Putting computer to sleep

Reaction score
Whenever I put the computer to sleep,the monitor turns off,but two hours later it turns itself back on.When I put it to sleep again,it stays in that mode.How do I stop it from turning back on after putting to sleep the first time?I am using Leopard 10.5.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a similar problem with my PowerMac. I am assuming that something that is connected to the computer via USB is waking it up unintentionally. My problem starts sooner; I tell the machine to sleep and it turns itself off and then almost immediately turns itself back on again. It sometimes takes several attempts to get it to actually stay asleep.

I would recommend disconnecting all non essential peripherals and trying again. Then start re connecting things one by one and see when the machine starts to wake up again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
yeah if you have a mouse hooked up that could do it. i think there might be a setting somewhere in prefrences about now allowing anything to wake up your computer from sleep though so check that out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah if you have a mouse hooked up that could do it. i think there might be a setting somewhere in prefrences about now allowing anything to wake up your computer from sleep though so check that out

Well, that sounds dangerous - don't let anything wake it up? How do you ever get it back then? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I mean like your mouse or USB stuff...you wake it by pushing the keys that are set to wake it up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, I understand. I was just being silly, hence the smiley face! :D

OP
S
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my PowerMac. I am assuming that something that is connected to the computer via USB is waking it up unintentionally. My problem starts sooner; I tell the machine to sleep and it turns itself off and then almost immediately turns itself back on again. It sometimes takes several attempts to get it to actually stay asleep.

I would recommend disconnecting all non essential peripherals and trying again. Then start re connecting things one by one and see when the machine starts to wake up again.
Only have a printer connected through USB.Disconnected,but had no effect.

OP
S
Reaction score
Am using a wireless mouse.Could find nothing in system preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.