• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Student Discount

Reaction score
Well my sister was going to purchase a low end Mac Book (which is still pretty high end lol) online and use the student discount and pay monthly to build up her credit. However, when she applied, it said her credit score was to low, and she hadn't used credit ever (you can't until you're 18 I believe, and she is 18). We went to the local Apple Store and they said she couldn't use the student discount because her credit was to low. They also said a parent or guardian couldn't co sign.

My question is why do they have a student discount if students cannot buy them, because all students (when starting credit) have the same credit? This just made no sense to me.

By the way, her school was on the list, so it wasn't that.

Chase

Edit: Can a mod please change the title of this topic to 'Student Discount'. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Ummm you can still get the student discount, you dont need credit for that. She just cant get their credit card and use that to buy the macbook, she would need another means to pay for it (parents credit card, cash, another credit card). But you definatley dont need to get their card to get the student discount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I am a student and 18 years old and I used the student discount to buy my macbook. BUT I paid for my MB in full right away to not have to worry about payments.

OP
Chase
Reaction score
But how do you think a student can come up with that much money to just buy it? That is a lot of money for a student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
well she could apply for a different credit card if she cant come up with the cash, you dont have to use apples credit card, of course the payments wont be as low as on the apple website..My buddy is 18 and he was able to open two credits cards no problem, unfortunatly it usually takes a while to get a card once you apply. So im not sure what to tell you to do, personally im going to use money ill be getting for graduation to buy my macbook

OP
Chase
Reaction score
well she could apply for a different credit card if she cant come up with the cash, you dont have to use apples credit card, of course the payments wont be as low as on the apple website..My buddy is 18 and he was able to open two credits cards no problem, unfortunatly it usually takes a while to get a card once you apply. So im not sure what to tell you to do, personally im going to use money ill be getting for graduation to buy my macbook

She wasn't going to use Apple's credit card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
apples financing plan that you see online is for their credit card. she can get another credit card and use that to finance her computer. There are lots of credit cards where a parent can cosign. i had one when i was 15

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She wasn't going to use Apple's credit card.

I believe when he said "When she applied...." he was talking about that apple visa that they offer on their website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
But how do you think a student can come up with that much money to just buy it? That is a lot of money for a student.

I was a student when I bought mine. I worked for 3 summers before that and saved my money. Im 18 now and have $10 grand in the bank, because I don't spend it. My MB is the most expensive thing I ever bought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Juniper credit card on the Apple site is a pretty lousy deal. You get iTunes credit, but pay higher rates than the best cards. There are cards with lower rates, or there are cards that give you cash rewards instead of iTunes-only rewards.

This goes double for students.

And, yes, there are students who buy computers outright with money they earned. There are also students who buy computers before they graduate, with money they've saved from college jobs.

Mostly, though, I think parents buy computers for their kids...having a computer is expected or even required at most colleges now. It's part of the cost of college, just like tuition, dorm fees, and a meal plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
honestly, your sister shouldn't try to build credit that way. Using a credit card to build credit is fine, but I wouldn't carry a balance that high with the interest rate she, or anyone else would need to pay on a credit card.

I'd say she's better off separating the two. Maybe she should look to the First Bank of Mom and Dad for a loan to buy the computer, if possible. As for the credit build-up, get any typical card and carry about a $50-100 balance from month to month and make payments on time to boost her score slowly but surely. I don't think a high vs. low balance makes a difference in boosting your score by making payments. In fact, the more available credit you have, the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I saved up for my iBook doing part-time work during school.
My macbook I bought by selling my iBook and with some money saved from my part-time job that I do alongside studying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moved to correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I'd g down to your bank or credit union and apply for a loan. The interest rate will be much lower than that of a credit card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.