JPG and MacDrive

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

Anyway, I noticed that my HFS external hard drive, once connected to my pc using MacDrive, I can access all files, but when it comes to JPG's I can't see thumbnails anymore. When I right click the file, the file ext is FILE.

When I connect the hard drive to my mac, everything is okay.

How do I view the pictures on my PC?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
This is because HFS is the Mac equivalent of NTFS or FAT32, it's a case of the how the hard drive files stuff (I think) which can affect access by windows PCs. My HFS external hard drive cannot be properly read by my PC, so that's probably your problem. the good news is, you can reformat your external HDD to NTFS or FAT32 and ti will not affect the performance of your HDD on your mac, except if you wanna run certain drive utility functions.

Hope I helped ^^

Dave

OP
T
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has been able to view pictures on an HSF mac hardrive on a PC and a mac.

Is it even possible? I can view all music files on both computers, but not pictures. Pictures only work on the mac.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

Anyway, I noticed that my HFS external hard drive, once connected to my pc using MacDrive, I can access all files, but when it comes to JPG's I can't see thumbnails anymore. When I right click the file, the file ext is FILE.

When I connect the hard drive to my mac, everything is okay.

How do I view the pictures on my PC?

Thanks

When you look at an image file on the PC, is its filename "imagename.jpg" or is it just "imagename"? For the PC to understand that it is a JPG image, it needs to have a ".jpg" extension. Macs do not have this limitation. I am guessing that this might be what is happening? Try changing/adding the extension ".jpg" and report back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.