• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just Bought a New Mac Pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OK, I guess it is my turn to post one of these threads. I have been planning to replace my PowerMac G5 with either a Mac Pro or an iMac. I waited until Apple released the long awaited update to the iMac before making my decision. As anyone who has read my posts here over the past two days has likely deduced, I decided to buy the iMac.

This afternoon, I went to the Apple store and played with the new iMacs. They were impressive, but in the end, they just weren't what I wanted. My heart was set on the Mac Pro.

So tonight, I placed an order at the Apple on line store for a top of the line Mac Pro:

3.2 GHz, 8 core
4 GB RAM (2 from Apple, and I bought 2 more from Crucial)
750 GB hard drive
nVidia 8800 GT, 512 MB DDR3 graphics card
Airport Express card (WiFi "n")

It will be quite a beast. According to the Apple receipt, it should be here no later than May 8th, my birthday! Quite a nice birthday present! Expensive, but nice!

Anyway, I thought I would take my turn at posting one of the many excited "I just bought a Mac!!" posts. I am excited!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Congrats mac57!!! You will enjoy it. Let us know when you get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
congrats! And Happy early Birthday!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your system :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
3.2 GHz, 8 core
4 GB RAM (2 from Apple, and I bought 2 more from Crucial)
750 GB hard drive
nVidia 8800 GT, 512 MB DDR3 graphics card
Airport Express card (WiFi "n")

Holy moly!! What in the world are you going to do with that much power? Answer: whatever you want!! :)

Congrats! *jealous*

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats! What display (s) you hooking up to your new machine?
Holy moly!! What in the world are you going to do with that much power?

I am planning to hook up a LaCie 324 24" monitor.

What am I going to do with all that power, aside from reveling in the wretched excess? :D Actually, aside from all the usual stuff people do (email, web, budgets, iTunes...) the major application will be photo editing with Photoshop CS3 (also bought the upgrade from CS2 at the same time as I bought the machine itself). The speed will be welcome in some of the more challenging filters.

This is a pricey beast, but happily I have been fairly successful in the stock market of late, and that is paying for over half the outlay. In fact, in honor of this, I have decided to name the machine "Gekko" after Gordon Gekko, a key character in the excellent movie "Wall Street". Although Gordon Gekko turns out to be a fairly nasty character in the end, his tag line "Greed is Good" somehow sticks with me. For a machine purchased with majority Wall Street funding, the name "Gekko" seems appropriate!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Shweet!!!!! Wow, that's nice. May you have oodles of fun with it mac57!!!!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Congrats on the new mac pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Sit on it and fly to the moon!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again all. It occurred to me last night that I might actually have purchased the fastest "stock" personal computer on the market. So I checked the Dell website to see what they had ... Dell as a proxy for the whole PC industry!

Guess what, my mighty sounding new Mac Pro is actually idling down the slow lane compared to some of the stuff available on the Dell site. I exaggerate of course, but you may recall that Dell purchased Alienware some time ago. Alienware was a maker of high end gaming PCs. Sure enough, Dell is offering a factory overclocked Core 2 Quad that runs at 3.67 GHz. The liquid cooling is so "special" that they devote significant space on their web page to it!

Imagine my distress when I realized that my new Mac Pro is slow! OMG! I'll have to return it right away!! :D Just kidding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Yeah I would stay away from anything that is factory overclocked. Even from alienware. Thats just my opinion of course. Overclocked systems can be really unstable if not properly maintained.

Reaction score
* Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
* 32GB (8 x 4GB)
* 320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB (Stereo 3D, two dual-link DVI)
* Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
* One 16x SuperDrive
* Apple Mighty Mouse
* Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

Subtotal $16,948.00

lol jesus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Holy crap, Mac57. I don't think I could ever need a machine like that, unless I became some person who edits movies and such.

I've always loved the look of the Mac Pro, and the Power Mac G5, and so on. The G5/Pro is raw, sexy power, but the G4 before it was more cute and loveable :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Congrats man! and make sure to post pictures!!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats man! and make sure to post pictures!!

Will do guys. It is likely a week away yet before it arrives, so the pictures may be a while coming. I have yet to even receive notice from Apple that it has shipped. As I write this, I have received notice that my extra 2 GB of RAM has shipped from Crucial and my Photoshop CS3 Upgrade has shipped from Amazon. Now I just need a Mac Pro for them... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
congrats on your system man, you're going to love it.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks PowerBookG4. From looking at your system specs, you should know!

Our systems will be nearly identical. My processors will be a bit faster but I will have less RAM. I bet it all evens out in the final analysis. Once I get the system, it might be fun to compare XBench results just to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Mac57, your epeen is HUGE right now, just so you know. ;)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All, well it arrived today and I am typing this post on the new system. I am impressed so far. It is very fast, it is very quiet, and it is very fast (oops, I said that already, didn't I? :D ). Apple did NOT load it up with a bunch of trialware or bloatware. Just the basic machine and that was it. I am pleased with that.

I am not sure about this new aluminum keyboard. I like that Expose and Dashboard keys, but I am not really sure I like the feel of it. I will work with it for a few days before I make a final decision. There may be another Logitech S530 wireless keyboard mouse combo in my near future. That is what I have on my older PowerMac and I really like it.

I have been configuring and installing all evening. I am bushed. I will post more tomorrow. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it was here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.