Deleting files in my Download "place"?

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for an answer to something that has been bugging me since i first got my mac a month or so ago...When i DL music, or anything - attachments from emails - it goes into the download "place" which i have created, then for music lets say, i drag it into itunes or "add to library" and everything is great, however a copy still exists in the downloads "place". Is this really a copy and can be deleted b/c it is taking up extra space, or is it necessary to keep it b/c itunes needs to know where the file is that it wants to play? also isn't there a copy as well in my music folder and itunes?? now we are at 3 copies altogether?

Is there anything I need to know so that i wont have any issues backing things up to my soon to be purchased external HD?

sorry, a bit long winded, but hopefully someone gets my jist.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Well first off do you have iTunes set to copy your music/ "Keep Files Organized"? If so than you can delete those files in your downloads "Place" if not than that will also delete the copy that itunes sees.

OP
A
Reaction score
Keep files organized? not sure, They appear organized...when i bought my mac My bro installed the software, set up itunes, and loaded some music onto it for me, it certainly appears organized... I have taken no extra steps beyond that, just DL some music dragged it into itunes and then have these files still sitting in the DL "place" ( i realize place is probably not the best term, tho downloads appear under places in finder, hence my use of "place")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
There's a spot under Preferences and Advanced that will tell you if iTunes is copying music files to a central location. Have a look, it's pretty easy to tell.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks...Yes the box is checked next to copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library. The organized box is also checked. so, does this mean that i have 2 copies of files, one in itunes the other in music folder, then a third just sitting taking up space in the download "place"?

Reaction score
You have 2 copies of the file. One in the itunes music folder and one in your downloads place. There is no copy within itunes itself, it references the copy that is in the itunes music folder.

But yes, you can safely delete the copy in the download place, it's just taking up space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.