• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lenovo takes a jab at Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Actually, I don't know if Lenovo actually produced this video, but it's a pretty funny knock at the MBA for it's lack of features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0

If only the X300 had the most important feature of all: OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Haha, that is funny, but why would you need all of those USB's on an ultra-portable?

But I do agree, no OS X, no good! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
Haha. That's pretty funny. I can't say that I was that impressed with the MBA. It was thin...that was about all it had going for it, IMO. If I was going to spend that much money, I'd just get a MBP. :2cents:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've never been impressed with ANY ultra-portable. Which is what it is, really not sure why people expect them to be really workable without a primary workstation.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, that is funny, but why would you need all of those USB's on an ultra-portable?

They were trying to point out all the additions to he MBA that would be necessary to equal the ports/drives already in the X300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
They were trying to point out all the additions to he MBA that would be necessary to equal the ports/drives already in the X300.

Yea I guess...

but what the MBA lacks in USB ports, and all other ports :| , it gains in style! the X300 is like a flash back to how laptops looked (minus the thickness) of computers in the early 2000's. If I pull out my Dell that was made in 2001 and put it right next to it, there isn't a big difference(same ugly track pad, that pointless blue button in the middle of the keys, and two sets of clickers) , both are fugly and no where as cool as a MBA! :D

although I am a big fan of the biometrics on the X300, but what ever, all you need is a USB port, for an external one ;D

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^You've been spending too much time in front of your beautiful Mac, :) because most laptops still look pretty horrid IMHO. To be honest, I don't really mind the look of the Lenovos, probably because I've spent so much time around them. But few laptops come close to the look of the Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I guess...

but what the MBA lacks in USB ports, and all other ports :| , it gains in style! the X300 is like a flash back to how laptops looked (minus the thickness) of computers in the early 2000's. If I pull out my Dell that was made in 2001 and put it right next to it, there isn't a big difference(same ugly track pad, that pointless blue button in the middle of the keys, and two sets of clickers) , both are fugly and no where as cool as a MBA! :D

although I am a big fan of the biometrics on the X300, but what ever, all you need is a USB port, for an external one ;D

Yes...that's exactly what they were making fun of. The stereotypical Mac person that buys something because it looks cool, regardless of its usefulness or cost. My exact thought when I looked at the MBA side by side with a MBP is "what use is this stupid little thing?" I thought it looked cool...that's about it. If I had disposable income that I didn't know what to do with and already had a new MBP and Macbook, I'd then pick up a MBA.

While I'm a recent convert from PC's and have no plans on going back, that doesn't change my opinion of the average Mac buyer. They'd pay $1,000+ for an item with a Apple logo on it. Compare the MBA and MBP and tell me that isn't an appropriate reference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed, Tyler.

It all comes down to Apple's silly obsession with form over function. Computers are tools, they should be functional. When you buy a hammer, you don't choose one based on how pretty it looks, you choose it on how well it hammers, whether it's got a claw on the back of it and how durable the handle is.

This is really the only sticking point I have with Apple and is the reason I wish that they'd license OS X out to another vendor or two. Keep on building pretty Macs for those fanboys that can't get enough, but let someone else like Dell build functional machines that are useful to those of us that do more with a computer than read email and surf the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PowerBook, 30G iPod Video, 8GB iPhone, 1GB Shuffle
Definitely lol'd at this video. Say what you will about looks, but Thinkpad's are freaking workhorses. They come in 2nd to Mac's for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed, Tyler.

It all comes down to Apple's silly obsession with form over function. Computers are tools, they should be functional. When you buy a hammer, you don't choose one based on how pretty it looks, you choose it on how well it hammers, whether it's got a claw on the back of it and how durable the handle is.

This is really the only sticking point I have with Apple and is the reason I wish that they'd license OS X out to another vendor or two. Keep on building pretty Macs for those fanboys that can't get enough, but let someone else like Dell build functional machines that are useful to those of us that do more with a computer than read email and surf the web.

I disagree. The instant OS X is available to something other than Macs, is the day mac sales will die. Cause then the other will undercut apple with hardware prices and there are a lot of people who only get a mac for OS X. So with the option there's be no need for many people to get a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree. The instant OS X is available to something other than Macs, is the day mac sales will die. Cause then the other will undercut apple with hardware prices and there are a lot of people who only get a mac for OS X. So with the option there's be no need for many people to get a mac.

There will be people that will go to the cheaper hardware if the OS is available. However, one big draw I see to Apple computers over PC's is the build quality. Having owned one, I would rather pay the extra $100-200 for another Apple computer than go with a PC. Not because it's flashy, but because it's a more solid product.

Even something as cheap/mass produced as Apple's keyboard have much better fit and finish than any PC supplied board that I've ever used. I used a PC keyboard (Dell) last week for the first time since January. I was shocked by what a POS it was compared to my Apple keyboard. Compared to mine...I had to pound on the keys to get the required keystroke. It was a newer keyboard/computer too.

The same goes for my Macbook. The computer I had a couple months before picking this up was a brand new Gateway with Vista. In terms of quality of construction, my ~2 year old Macbook is better. It's more solid in terms of construction and the appearance (layout of the buttons, track pad, accessories including USB on side, etc.) is more well thought out, in my opinion. :2cents:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If Apple licenses the OS and hardware (EFI and OS protection technologies) to another company, they still make royalties on every machine sold. I just can't see any downside.

Some might argue that Apple would have to develop for more hardware and in doing so, doesn't own the "total package", which might result in lower quality. But I would say that as long as Apple specifies particular chipsets, graphics and sound cards, they can still have control. And if Dell chooses to have 10 USB ports on the back of an expandable desktop that uses the same basic components as a Mac Mini, so be it. The functionality (legacy ports, extra USB, extra Firewire) is all there in the chipsets, Apple just chooses to exclude it for aesthetic reasons. There's no reason Apple couldn't continue to sell pretty Macs for those that like them, and let another company use the same hardware and build more functional machines.

Of course, this is an age old argument and we can go on and on, but it's how I feel nonetheless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
well, other than it didn't work very well for Apple in the mid-90's

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Remember that Apple is a hardware company, that happen to create software also. Apple sells a complete system, that works out of the box, you can install other software, but for the most part you can function as is. If was selling only software then licensing would make since. One of the reasons Apple purchased Power Computing was to stop the making of clones, if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
And I don't think the Lenovo had a CD/DVD drive either...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And I don't think the Lenovo had a CD/DVD drive either...

Yes it does in fact. DVD R/W.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/thinkpad/2008/X300?cid=us|semd|ggl|us_x300_en|t3D03|s&&s_kwcid=thinkpad%20x300|1071363721

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, other than it didn't work very well for Apple in the mid-90's

It didn't work well in the 90's, because the OS was (frankly) garbage and demand for Macs was slim to none. There is now legitimate demand for the OS, but many of those that are holding out on switching are doing so because Apple simply doesn't make hardware that they want (and in some cases, need).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember that Apple is a hardware company, that happen to create software also. Apple sells a complete system, that works out of the box, you can install other software, but for the most part you can function as is. If was selling only software then licensing would make since. One of the reasons Apple purchased Power Computing was to stop the making of clones, if I remember correctly.

I understand that rman, but if Apple wants to make only certain types of hardware, I don't see why they couldn't license out the OS and a hardware specification to third parties. And if it didn't work out, simply yank the license. If they collect a royalty on every box sold, how do they lose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I can't help but ask myself what my dad would say, "Why fix what ain't broken?" Apple has gotten themselves on a good path here. There is no reason for them to license their stuff so some cheapo company can clone the Mac and, in essence, lower the value of the brand. In the end, they would lose and lose big!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.