Strange .HTML Files Downloading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Some strange .HTML files are automatically showing up in my downloads folder. By strange, I mean: 1) I didn't download them, and 2) they're just a string of letters and numbers.

When I click one, it says it was downloaded and asks me if I want to open it up. I always click cancel out of precaution.

Anyone have any idea what these may be and how i can make them stop?

Reaction score
Maybe you are accidentally pressing option when you click on a link. When you do that it automatically downloads the linked item.

OP
MikeIsGood
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the thought, but that's not the problem. I just tested that and it creates a .php on the desktop, not a .html in the downloads folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Is it a constant occurrence or has this just happened once? If just once I suggest just deleting them and moving on, if it keeps happening I'll look into it some more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
If you post or Pm one, I can open it for edit and try to determine where it's coming from

OP
MikeIsGood
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it a constant occurrence or has this just happened once? If just once I suggest just deleting them and moving on, if it keeps happening I'll look into it some more.

It was doing it for about two days, putting something in the folder maybe 5 times each day, but it seems to have stopped now. Maybe it was some certain sites I was going to (though I go nowhere "bad") that have since stopped sending me these files. Whatever, I guess I'll take your advice and chalk it up as an oddity. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They are probably some sort of drive by downloads, that might infect and run on a PC.

I am not saying that you are visiting bad sites tho, hackers have been known to hack legit sites and insert malware code into otherwise trustworthy sites.

OP
MikeIsGood
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really visit the same sites everyday, and I determined that I've visited the same sites today that I did in the past two (sports, blogs, forums, email, and music) and it hasn't happened. So if it was what you're suggesting, it has apparently been taken care of by the administrator of said site(s).

Glad it couldn't do anything to my mac :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.