Mystery music on new macbook...

Reaction score
My sister has recently bought a new macbook and it has started playing music from a mysterious source, through the external speakers.

I have owned an aging Powerbook G4 for a good few years now, and I've never seen/heard anything like this.

Nothing is externally connected, and there is no cd in the drive...

I force quit everything and restarted finder, but to no avail...

Some random french electro/house style music keeps playing, and stopping and starting randomly...

Anyone have any ideas on how I can diagnose this problem?

Wasnt sure where to post this btw, thought music would be a safe bet...

XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
if it plays for long enough, try doing a

ps aux

in terminal and see what is running. This may point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Reaction score
Or just run Activity Monitor (in Utilities folder). Look for something running in the background that may be related to streaming music. (inc games etc..)

I recall having the same problem a few years ago after downloading something!? I think it had something to do with an installer or something!? Look for a little application or a character wearing headphones somewhere on your machine. This could well be the route of your problem!? hope this helps ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Go into System Preferences - Accounts - Startup.

Check what's been installed there.

Reaction score
You can hear the music through external speakers? I used to live right in the lobe of an AM radio station and I could hear it through my external speakers. Can you hear it from your 'Book when the speakers are disconnected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can hear the music through external speakers? I used to live right in the lobe of an AM radio station and I could hear it through my external speakers. Can you hear it from your 'Book when the speakers are disconnected?
True, it is sometimes possible to pick up radio stations on speakers that aren't connected to anything. If you can hear faint music on the speakers when they aren't plugged in, or when they're plugged in but the computer is off, and you can't hear it when the speakers aren't plugged in, then that might be it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
Sounds like fun with french electro when the laptop is shut off :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Come to think of it my last mac picked up OPB (Oregon public broadcasting) due to a poor ground in my apartment that had a tendency of picking up stations. The only way I was able to get rid of it was supplying my computer with a second ground

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Or just run Activity Monitor (in Utilities folder). Look for something running in the background that may be related to streaming music. (inc games etc..)

I recall having the same problem a few years ago after downloading something!? I think it had something to do with an installer or something!? Look for a little application or a character wearing headphones somewhere on your machine. This could well be the route of your problem!? hope this helps ;)

You know...I really should learn the "Apple/point-click" way of doing things...seems like it could be fun...:D

Reaction score
You know...I really should learn the "Apple/point-click" way of doing things...seems like it could be fun...:D
lol, well if you don't know what you are doing then maybe you should! I'm sure there's a dummies guide available if you need help with that!? :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.