How do I make MPlayer the default player for .avi files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm, i think if you go to get info on a file, and click on open with.. ull find out where.. but im not shur... or do control click on every file you want open with a diff app..?

OP
D

dotmac

Graphite said:
Hmm, i think if you go to get info on a file, and click on open with.. ull find out where.. but im not shur... or do control click on every file you want open with a diff app..?

If I use open with and chose mplayer then select always use this program, it only makes it the default for that one file and not all .avi files. strange...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then ull have to use control-click then :) or get a dual button mouse to show the Open-with function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
why dont you just get an .avi codec for quicktime?

OP
K

Kafka2112

Similar question

Is there a way to set one application as a default when opening a specific file type?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
if its a preference of the application, then yes. check under System Preferences >> Quicktime Settings

OP
K

Kafka2112

I am actually trying to get ms word x to be the default application for opening .doc files. At the moment, thinkfree office automatically opens when i click on a .doc file.

Thinkfree office is listed as the default app for opening .doc files so the only way to open in word is to do "open with" which is irritating.

Is there a way to change the defaults?

any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know how to change the default... mb with Filebuddy? other than that.. control-click your way :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Control click the file and go to "Get Info" then click on the "Open with:" arrow. Select the program you would like to open the file with in the drop down list. Click on the "Change All..." button and just follow the dialogues.. that should change everything. Periodically some of the mapping might go bad and you'll have to do it again, unless my mac is just strange in that way :)

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.