Love It!!!!

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
First post gang... Just bought the 24 inch Imac .. 2.4 with the 320 and 3 gigs of ram... I heard Macs are no good for games... Is this true????Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
There not no good, you'll just have to pay more to get one that can play games well (you should do some research before you buy it!) the iMac should be able to play most Mac games as long as the graphics aren't cranked way up.

OP
D

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
I also have the ATI 2600 card with 256 megs of ram...

Reaction score
I heard Macs are no good for games

Sarcastic answer:
"It's true. Macs cannot run ANY game at all whatsoever. The chess game OS X comes with? A lie. It's not usable at all because no Mac can play it."

More real answer:
"games" covers a wide spectrum. What games did you have in mind? Games specific to Macs? Boot Camp some Windows games? New games? Old games?

For a reference, here's the bare bones speed numbers for your 2600 Pro vs. the graphics chipset in a Macbook Pro:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=522&card2=534

And, here's the difference between your 2600 Pro, and a "mid-range" desktop graphics card found in gaming PCs:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=522&card2=544

(the 8800GT is also an option in Mac Pros)

Reaction score
SubZero, you realize the links you gave are to sites where people rate the video cards? A real comparison would look at the benchmarks.

However, the real answer:
Compared to Windows XP, Macs are pretty bloody bad for gaming. Yes, you can run chess and a few other basic timekillers natively, but any serious games you'll need wine (yay for mooching off Linux, they actually know what they're doing!) for, because Microsoft is willing to pay a fair bit of cash out to make sure games are made exclusively for Windows. Wine does not work anything close to perfectly with most games; however, it's good enough. If you want a gaming platform, Windows XP is still the OS to run, followed at a respectable distance by Linux (after all, the games developed for Linux, like OpenArena and many others, are quite a bit ahead of those developed for the Mac; besides, wine is a lot easier to get working in Linux in the experience of people I know) and then by Macintosh. I'd put Vista just barely ahead of Macintosh; quite a few Windows XP games won't work on it anything close to easily, and it has ridiculous system requirements that will put a strain on most midrange PCs while running newer games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
I have a macbook pro and It's played any game I've ever asked it to flawlessly. I dunno so much about the iMac's though. Unless the game is psychoticaly graphic intensive you shouldn't have a problem playing games. Only real problem is the majority of games don't have universal binaries which don't enable them to be played on mac.

So far on my MBP
I have Sims2
World of Warcraft
Need for Speed Carbon
and Homeworld 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
ive played:
Oblivion
COD 2
Rainbow Six 2

Having windows xp boot camped, i've been able to play these games flawlessly on the ol mbp. If games are very important to you, just bootcamp windows on your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It plays games under Windows XP/Vista as well as any other machine with a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo and an ATI Radeon 2600XT, would be the simple answer.

Reaction score
You have a beautiful machine there. Problem is not so much with the machine as it is with the programers and software houses. They just don't write their games for the Mac. Just look at the Mac games website at what they have to offer...mostly pitiful...The ones that are written for the Mac run real good.

Using Bootcamp and winders XP you will be able to run more of the games, and many times you will find that they actually run better on the Mac than they do on the PC. However, Apple has not specifically built their machines to run the high powered games of today so you may run into video card problems or driver problems, but as time goes on i expect to see better cards available for the Mac as more and more switchers start screaming about not being able to run their latest and greatest games.

I'm a world war II first person shooter fan and you should see the difference in BattleField 1942 as played on my top of the line PC with a 21" monitor and the same game played on a Mac Pro with 30" monitor...the Mac simply put blows the PC out of the water.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I also have the ATI 2600 card with 256 megs of ram...

Then you definitely won't be getting games to run properly, even through Windows. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i play games via bootcamp on my imac and have BF2 and BFV at full wack. Works great. Obviously the brand new games are more intensive and so may have to be set at medium.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.