Macs look terrible

Reaction score
First of all I love most things Mac. Have for years and had one fo the first 128k Macs off the assembly line backin the day. I have "Mac'd" all my Windows machines with Apple peripherals, monitors etc... HOWEVER

One thing kills me about Macs and it is a major thing to me and that is the on screen "font smoothing" that Apple uses vs. Microsoft. It just bugs me that Apples text is "fuzzy" and it is on purpose that it is whereas Microsoft's clear type is crisp and clear and is far superior over time. Expesially after you foot that bill for the $7-800 Apple 24" monitor. Why buy such a nice computer and monitor for it to be fuzzy.

I have maintained this for years and Apple fanboys have flamed me and have told me I'm nuts. First of all I would be classified as one of those fanboys, Apple is a great American company, I love that fact that OS X is superior than Vista and Apple deserves greater market share.

For those who think I am nuts (and maybe it is less now that you can run Parallels and see things "side by side" and see how Apple fuzzes their text)
take alook at the facts:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

It is almost a deal breaker for me having to look at crystal clear XP all day and fuzzy OS X at home.

Reaction score
Well, I do agree with you. The apple words do look "thicker" but I dont think its a big deal. I personally do not care. Although the windows version does seem easier to read. But the Apple redering seems to just fit better with the interface. I know that sounds dumb, but it would really through off the "feel" of the OS if it had the same thin, block type writing as Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
What font smoothening? I just use it the way it came and now I have no problems with reading or anything. Just have to get used to it I guess.

And I don't notice any difference between the Windows and Mac in that screenshot, although I know that there is in the real world.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
misleading topic name.

thanks for wasting precious seconds of my life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Kay... you have a valid opinion although I disagree, but I still have two questions, One, why are you telling us this? If you just had to get it out than okay that's fine, but otherwise, why do we care? Two, why is this in the switcher hangout? You don't appear to be a switcher and this has no need or purpose in the Switcher forum... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I disagree, I find font rendering on Macs to be far superior to ClearType not for aesthetic reasons, but for how it reads. When using a Windows computer for a couple of hours, I would always experience eye strain. When I got my Mac, I can sit in front of it for the same amount of time with no eye strain.

So even if OS X renders fonts differently from how they should actually look, I find it superior simply because it causes less eye strain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I honestly never noticed a difference, is that bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
i have worked on windows based computers my entire life until about a month ago when I bought my first macbook pro and to be honest I don't see much of a difference. If you really get technical, there is a small difference, but not nearly enough to concern me (even as a graphic design, and appearance is everything). I think macs have beautiful displays and the font is far from unreadable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
As a guy who is a colorphile and who notices the most subtlest of anything visual, I never even noticed this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I honestly never noticed a difference, is that bad?

I don't notice anything either. Only when I look at that link the original poster posted. That's just being picky though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah I've never noticed either, but oh well, he or she probably just has better eyes than all of us :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
For those who think I am nuts (and maybe it is less now that you can run Parallels and see things "side by side" and see how Apple fuzzes their text)
take alook at the facts:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

The fact is, it's a matter of preference, but as the article says the roots are in Apple's background in DTP. Steve Jobs once said that MS have no taste, and went on to say that the fonts that Apple use were inspired by beautiful books, something MS would never have if it were not for the Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw

The article is right, that MS have a practical approach to things, but if you ever print anything from Word, especially on a PC, it looks awful and flat. The blurry text attack is somewhat overstated, because it's barely noticed on high rez screens in day to day activity. But again, that's entirely subjective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I had a real problem with this when I first switched too. I felt at the time that the Apple approach to font smoothing was more or less a cross I had to bear to get all the rest of that Apple goodness. You will see this reflected in my Linux to Mac Switchers Guide in the section on Font rendering.

Eventually I got over it. I work with Windows and Mac OS X every day, and now I just accept that they are different. Some days I prefer the Mac manner of font rendering, some days I prefer the Windows manner of font rendering.

Macs are different - Viva la difference! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Um yeah OK so. ??? The sky is pink but i like it black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ While that may be...

20080425-cu5g5idjajmab9k6x7579ci5es.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
What exactly am I looking for in that picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
That macs call anti-aliasing (what I'm used to saying) to "font smoothing."

M

MacHeadCase

What exactly am I looking for in that picture?

Goobi just wants to publicly point out what a dumb post I made earlier. But I persist in saying that the real term for font smoothing is font antialiasing.

Apple must have put that font smoothing business in the system preferences to avoid all those what's antialiasing mean ? posts in Apple Discussions. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
MHC is correct. The process of smoothing lines is called anti-aliasing. Anybody here who is a gamer will be able to attest to this fact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.