can you install Mac OS from an image?

Reaction score
I backed up my Leopard DVD using disk utility and it saved as a .cdr file Can I use this to reinstall my OS etc.. w/o burning it to a DL DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
dannieboiz,

Not sure what you're trying to do. If your HDD or OS goes south, where would you go for the .cdr file? It would probably be gone too... I'd put it on a DVD to have in my back pocket in case you need to re-install the OS on a new HDD.

If you just want to re-install the OS, why not just use your Mac install disc? Having a backup HDD is almost a necessity in these days of paranoia... Try downloading and using SuperDuper and back up the entire drive to an external HDD. SuperDuper is free for that purpose (you can buy with extended capabilities) and the image it creates is also bootable - neat feature.

Not sure this answers your question...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
I agree, re-installing from the CD would be much easier.

Arguably you could mount your .cdr image on a network drive and do a network install, however you would need to find a way to boot the machine (if the OS had died), load a kernel that then loads a network card driver, and then reads the .cdr image file to kick off the install. Lot of hard work. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you have a full retail install DVD? If so use that. If not buy one. Have seen folks with no OS trying to get around the DL question with no DL burner this way?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.